Mark's 3foot Tank

markoshark

Your plants need CO2 to live and make oxygen for the fish. :D

Its not that there isn't enough CO2 in the water, just that your plants want more. So the more plants you have the more CO2 you need.

During photosynthesis, plants use light energy to capture CO2. This CO2 is used to build the basic carbon structures from which all plant material is made. In a poorly lit aquarium, light is likely to be what limits the rate of plant growth. The amount of CO2 produced by fish- and bacterial respiration is more than enough to allow photosynthesis under these conditions. If on the other hand, you try to make your plants grow faster by adding more light, it is likely that there will not be enough CO2 in your aquarium. The plants simply can not grow as fast as they would like to, given the available light energy

Based on this list, what am I going to need to feed these things with?

1x Male Fighter

2x Female Fighters

1x Black Ghost Knife

3x Silver Shark

3x Clown Loach

2x Port Hoplo Catfish

2x Blackline Flying Fox / SAE

(I think i'll drop the Dainos as my tank looks pretty busy with the silver sharks - less is more :P)

I know that my ratio of top / bottom feeders is screwed up.. but.. bleh.

(Anyone recomend any fish that are top dwellers, won't get eaten by the BGK, and won't nip the fighters fins?)

Food i currently have:

Wardley - Shrimp Pellets Forumula

JBL - NovoTab

JBL Novo GranoVert

Tetra - ColorBits Tropical Granules

JBL - Novo GranoColor

Nutrafin MAX - Spirulina Algae Flake Food

Gourmet Fish Food - Groumet brine Shrimp Flake

Any of that usefull?

(and i know to get bloodworks for the BGK)

Hi, looks like a good variety of food. I notice bloodworms? for your BGK.

Just be a bit careful about how many of these your fighters get hold of as IMO they appear to cause problems if they get too many or too frequently.

I don't know anything about BGK so maybe the fighters won't get near them anyway.

my betta gets blood worms everyday and he loves them i havent seen any - affects

Frozen or Dried? Dried is fine, but frozen is known to carry parasites (or something like that) which can cause a dropsy condition in some fish including betta and dwarf gourami. Depends on the fish too though, weaker strains seem more susceptible. I lost a dwarf and red crowntail Betta, but haven't lost any since I stopped feeding the worms.

Hate not feeding them though :( fish absolutely LOVE them, you'd think I'd stuck a hit of heroin or something in there and they were drug addicts.

Marko - I'd just feed normal tropical flakes, only one I'd watch closely is the BGK, make sure you see him eat during the week at some stage. I hear you can train them to eat from your hand, so might want to sneak him some bloodworms ;) If you're growing out fish, pick a flake that has a higher protein content than the other brands.

I chucked a lump of gum in, and it reacted.

It *was* really, really clear piece of swamp gum that i found in the coromandel ranges, and now its turned into a piece of swamp gum thats had a sandblaster pointed at it for 1/2 an hour.

not advisable :/

1x Male Fighter

2x Female Fighters

1x Black Ghost Knife

3x Silver Shark

3x Clown Loach

2x Port Hoplo Catfish

2x Blackline Flying Fox / SAE

6x Dainos

5x Marble Hatchetfish

Should be a nice mix of top, bottom, middle and everywhere.

Ookay. My list has changed a LOT since I first though it up.

Tank now contains:

3x Silver Shark

5x Clown Loach

2x Port Hoplo Catfish

1x Pantadon Butterfly

1x Black Ghost Knife

3x Zebra Longfin Danios

1x Black Phantom Tetra

1x Guppy with a munted tail

4/5x Green & Gold Sevrums (weeliddlebabies)

1x Blue Male Fighter

1x Female Purpleyish Female Fighter.

1x Albino Pleco.

Sevrums, the guppy, and the tetra will be going into a smaller hex tank, the pantadon seems to think that the male fighter is its friend. Either that or the male fighter is going "wooo fins, another lady!", but i'm watching the aggression between them rather carefully.

And the Danios are being "donated" to someone else :P

Re-Updated list of what will be in my tanks:

3foot:

3x Silver Shark

6x Clown Loach

2x Port Hoplo Catfish

1x Pantadon Butterfly

1x Black Ghost Knife

1x Blue Male Fighter

1x Female Purpleyish Female Fighter.

1x Peacock Eel

2foot: