Tank big enough for angelfish?

mustcooktea

Hi all

I haven’t been posting much recently as I am now working full-time (& hubby doesn’t like me to be on the computer ALL night). My son’s little tank is doing well with only the loss of one glowlight tetra that jumped out of the bucket during the move from Gisborne. As we are now settle in to our new home in Taupo it is time to reset up my daughter’s tank since she lost her last goldfish in an algae bloom while we were away at Christmas.

My daughter is now interested in angel fish but I am wanted advice on whether the tank would be suitable for them. I am concerned that it may be too small. The tank is 500mm high, 750mm long and 300mm depth (a little over 100 litres). Is this too small for four angel fish, six corys, a bristle nose and six small tetras?

Any opinions and suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

MCT

Yeah I think it'd be suited well to a single pair (M/F) of adult angels, or a few young ones. Corys etc will be fine because they use a different swimming space. I've got my angels with clown loaches.

Its hard to say because it depends on attitude and sex of the angels. You might be able to keep 4 females, or 1 male and 3 females perhaps.

So all in all I'd say go for it provided you will have tank space in the future to at least move 2 of the angels out at a later date. Danios tend to be a better match with angelfish because they're fast, large tetras would be ok but eventually the angels will eat fish like neon tetras etc and oh boy do they LOVE live food once they've learned how to catch it.

Also some of the fancier types, especially the black colours, often seem to have a genetic problem where they dont grow very big. I've got 3 angels at the moment that are about 10cm tall including fins with optivistors (spelling?) sticking out and bloated with roe. Can't use that as a rule however but it seems that 'mini-angelfish' can't be far away.

Thanks for those comments. I think I will talk to the lfs about whether they would be able to take back a couple of angel fish when they are older if there are problems (if I don't have a bigger tank by then!). I'll look into the danios also.

What do others keep with their angel fish?

MCT