Twisty Fish Disease

Rozski

Pretty much describes what I have! At Christmas, my male dwarf gourami became S shaped. Like, looking at him from above, he looked like an S. Apart from spending more time hanging out in his plant, he still ate and remained alive. When I went away for easter (friend fed fish during the break for me) I decided to put him out of his misery, as he obviously wasnt going to get better and had just started looking much more sick, floating crooked etc.

I hadn't added anything to my tank since maybe October at the latest, and that was a plant. He was the last fish added, and that was in August. Was late December when we noticed him getting bendy.

Theres also a female dwarf gourami, a pair of killies (which got added in mid Jan), two small bristlenose and two zebra danios (I had three, but lost one in March, she got a hump back and died, but it may have been old age? I have had them almost a year and they were big when I got them)

Thought all my other fish were healthy, and they act it, but looking closely at my killies, they are getting a slight double bend now too. No-one else would see it, but coz my gourami was like this, and I've been looking closely, I can see.

Only thing I could see at the time when I did some googling was the possibility of fish TB.... but he lasted for aaaages with it if he did have it

Do I need to wipe my tank out and start fresh or what? Hard to treat for something when I don't know what it is :( Would also rather not lose my killies.

Also want to get another male dwarf, but thinking this isnt a good idea if I think theres a disease in my tank :cry:

Any suggestions? I am at a loss as to what to do

Both genetics and old age can cause curvature of the spine.

My disease book says:

"Is the body of one or more fish distorted by a curvature of the spinal column?

Yes - The fish are afected by sporozoa or by tuberculosis."

It then goes on the say to dissect the fish so you can examine the dorsal musculature for cysts. :-?

Yeah, I had always thought TB, but A) woulda thought it would have killed him much faster and B) it usually causes a hunchback type of curvature to the spine, not a sideways bending and even C) if he suddenly got it, where did it come from? He was the last fish intro'd and had had him for a good few months before it showed up. Not sure how long they can carry before displaying disease, anyone know?

Haven't tested my water recently, but was regularly testing it last year. Will be doing it when I get a moment, just had a looooong day

Just a question; what do you feed your fish?

Well this site comes up with sporozoa or tb

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/physical_changes.html

My med book says

FishMB or bad nutrition.

S shape horizontally = scolisis

S shape vertically = lordosis

Cause; FishMB, injury, malnutrition, genetic defect.......

Therefore if your diet is fine, then your fish more than likely have FishMB.

If that is the case, I would re-start the tank from start.{Sterilization} Kull the fish remaining. Freezing does not kill the bacteria either. Few drugs work & they aren't cheap. FishMB is gram positive bacteria, most drugs treat gram negative bacteria.

Doxycycline & similar.{Usually work best in initial stagesonly} Kanamycine is reported to work too. I would say no point, your fish will be to far gone.

FishMB is very contagious, as in fish to humans. Don't touch water if you have open wounds.

Fish contract the disease.....

Most common way is oral; Eating contaminated food {especially mosquito larvae}, by eating other fish or faeces infected with fishMB. Also by external parasites or open wounds.

Frenchy :D