What filter do you use in your Turtle tank?

Gatito

Hey guys, am interested to hear what filters we all use for our turtle tanks, as i'm going to upgrade soon and would love some input.

When I got my boy I bought an Aqua One H/O, as it doesn't take up space in the tank and it wasn't a good time to spend the money on a cannister.

It's kept the water nice and clean, especially with the small water changes i do every day or two with his feeding, but it hasn't really been ideal - have attached a plastic sheet for the waterfall to run down so it's quieter, and had to extend the intake, as the filter sits up on the glass edge. However this isn't very pretty and these modifications have to be re-done every so often.

I'm thinking that a cannister is a good idea, but would like to know what you are all using, how you're finding it (pros & cons etc), and any advice you can offer before i go and spend the money

We are using an Eheim 2028, best purchase we ever made.

You just can't beat a cannister filter for turtles, and the bigger the better.

I'm thinking of upgrading to that filter eventually. I said eventually as I dont think the current Eheim 2213 is going to die anytime soon lol

I was looking at the Pro IIIe? I think its called, and I want one, anyone know how much one of them are? :oops: :o

Oh the Eheim 2213 is good, but want better, but cant complain when I brought the thing it was part of the tank setup, annoying thing, is priming it, Me want self prime thanks :lol: :-? :roll:

I don't have any filters on the baby turtles as a newly hatched turtle has no mass and little brains and would be put into orbit. Adults have an Eheim external 900 litre/hour on a 1.6 metre tank. Having no filter makes more work but also means they get looked at more often while cleaning.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several cannister filters available but at present I am experimenting with a swimming pool filter !! it is one off a blowup type pool that the turtles were in over the summer, but now it is getting cooler they are in a outside tank and in the sun (when it comes out). I started off using a cannister but thought I would give the pool filter a go. Works very well, uses a paper (or similar material) cartridge that I just spray with the hose to clean, and has a huge input and outflow flexible hose about the same size as a vaccum cleaner. As there are 5 red ears and a snake neck in the same tank, I thought the water flow would compensate for space and it seems to work well, clean water so far, collects rainwater, I have a huge pleco and mozzie fish to help with the waste. These type of filter/pumps are cheap to run, cheap to buy, effective/efficient, and would be easy to change the media if you wanted, rather large flow too which for me is a bonus - for what it is worth p.s. guess it would pay to check that clorine etc has not been used, mine was new so no problem, (cost me a dollar complete)

obviously got lots more money than me

Haha, not quite - had to wait a lil while, and $ was the reason i didn't get a canister first off.

davidb - set it up without their knowledge, throw some pacu in there and tell them you fixed the spa heater. They'll go to have a lovely spa and get a fright when they see "pirahna" circling!!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, not quite - had to wait a lil while, and $ was the reason i didn't get a canister first off.

davidb - set it up without their knowledge, throw some pacu in there and tell them you fixed the spa heater. They'll go to have a lovely spa and get a fright when they see "pirahna" circling!!! :lol:

bwahahhah.

That would be awesome fun to see :D

having a spa with a couple of pirahna, a nice big Arowana, and a couple of oscars. And a plec :P

yesh - today i'm cleaning mine for the first time so i'll let you know what the damage is. But canisters are pretty good for cleaning/rinsing, so should be ok, i'm more worried about the smell :o :lol:

Cycle should put off the smell a little bit if you add a cap/L every week.