Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rocks

Featured Replies

What rocks you guys use? Ive been searching for rough faced rocks now. Previously I had slates and those round ones that slip occasionally. However, i did see some volcanic rocks I think.. they were reddish brown in colour. Would this be alright?? Has anyone used this?

I have read about people using forms of volcanic rock in African setups and it has been fine. Guess you would have to be selective.

I use Kati Kati Red, you should be able to get it down that way??

It is really nice and ages really nice in the tank after a while, looks really natural.

I Use some rocks from up at halswell quarry and random rocks and boulders from up the waimak and selwyn rivers. dunno any names tho

Hi there. What type of fish have you got? I use Limestone in my Malawi tanks and the seem top work really well. jHelp to keep the pH up as well.

Sorry about the poor English! :oops: Should read what I write before hitting the submit button! Hope you can make out what Ive posted! :P

Hi there. What type of fish have you got? I use Limestone in my Malawi tanks and the seem top work really well. jHelp to keep the pH up as well.

i use sandstone tiles with no problems

YellowLabidochromis002a.jpg

I use alot of limestone in with my Malawis and other Tanganyikan tanks.. and Aragonite substrate.. I use the Kati Kati Red in the Fron tank, the dark red/brown colour looks great against the Frons colouring.

If you can get your hands on Dolomite Rock then that is a good one to use. Often used in African setups.

http://www.galleries.com/minerals/carbonat/dolomite/dolomite.htm

Hi

My first Malawi setup was with Volcanic Rock which looked awesome in a six foot tank piled right to the top but found that alot of my fish kept scraping themselves against the rock causing themselves injuries. One jammed himself against the glass and rock and lost an eye :(

Dolomite rock would be good but dont bother with dolomite gravel as it washes the colour out of the fish making them look pale.

Iam now starting to use alot of coral rock and lime stone (the flat stuff and rock form). You lucky people in ChCh have millions of the stuff down there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.