Boris the Arowana's new treats (Details Not so Graphic now )

sharronpaul

Pinkies? It had hair, body was about 40mm, tail was around the same.

Aros are funny, he just opened his mouth and the mouse disappeared, except for about 15mm or the tail which was stuck out the side of his mouth for a few minutes before he swallowed.

Talking about pinkies, I learnt very early on not to put a finger in the tank, it was best to put the whole hand and half the arm, otherwise He'd try to bite it off. Guess it's a lesson all aro owners learn at some stage :D

They may love them, but I doubt theres much nutritional value in them, plus theres the risk of feeding them straight from the garden where they could be covered in sprays. If you want to feed insects use crickets (bought or bred, not wild caught), theyre better for them and can easily be gut-loaded.

David R Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:56 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't count on it, a cricket thats been eating nothing but protein and vitamins for the past 12 hours is pretty good!!

(altho you'd need a few crickets to make up the same volume of food as a mouse!)

True. Maybe I could pump up the mice with the good stuff first. Real fun food to feed :D Should talk to the breeders and see if I can get a pair of mice going - don't know how hard it would be to breed crickets, anybody have any ideas?

(and he's not too fussy yet, still takes the pellets happily)

Pictures are a little graphic. Those who are a bit squeamish are best to not go there.

check out this

Its a Scleropages Jardini

it was my friends until they sold it

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u112 ... d7/aro.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u112 ... 7/aro2.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u112 ... 7/aro3.jpg

P.S. That is a live mouse

IMG tags removed.. View on site.

Warning: Pics are of a graphic nature Mod.

It nearly looks too big for the poor fish in the last photo!!

Crickets are pretty easy to breed, I'm breeding them for our dragons, but my dats been getting a few too. Probably not quite as easy as mice, altho I'd much rather have an escaped cricket than a mouse!!

I just wanted to be the first to say

ewwwwww

I dont mind live food provided it can be swallowed in one go and doesn't stress out the food, watching an aro 'chew' a big mouse isn't my cup of tea lol

I'll email those pictures to Helen though, she has a thing for fish that eat animals apparently. She saw a baby Arowana the other day and yeah guess what our next fish is :roll: :lol:

I'm sure it's great for the aro tho... but does it have to be wee mousies?

I'm not so sure it is great for the aro, mice are high in fat which can cause drop-eye, and even if its not bad for them there is certainly more nutritious foods to feed them. I'd say if you're going to feed mice, feed the smaller pinkies that are easier to swallow and aren't covered in fur.

I'm not so sure it is great for the aro, mice are high in fat which can cause drop-eye....

I've done some research into this in the past and haven't found anything that backs up that statement conclusively. Drop eye in silver arowanas (they seem to be the majority of the cases) is attributed to genetics in most cases. Another speculation is fish in the lower levels of the aquarium.

If nothing else, I'd give the mouse a good solid wash before feeding them to my fishy!

It's interesting to note though, that Silvers are far more prone to it than the other species are, given that Silvers are the only species that are commerically bred for sale.

Not true, asian aro's are all commercially bred due to their Cites 1 rating. I'm guessing that the selective breeding to produce new/better colour strains results in a bit of inbreeding, which [to me anyway] would make them more prone to genetic defects.

I highly doubt drop-eye is solely caused by having other fish in the tank, if that was the case why would it not affect other aro's and why does it only usually happen in one eye? I find it hard to believe that every silver aro in the world has the same genetic defect (I've never seen a large silver without it, and 9 times out of 10 its the left eye) but it may be the case, I'd be interested to see photos of large wild-caught fish to see if they have the same problem.

It nearly looks too big for the poor fish in the last photo!!

That arowana on day of sale was 48cm in length and on day of photos taken she was on to her 2nd mouse and was playing with it, cruel i know but she would just kill moths for the hell of it. We would put a jar of moths into the tank and she would go into a frenzy but once she had her fill would pop around crunching the rest and then spit them out.

I dont mind live food provided it can be swallowed in one go and doesn't stress out the food, watching an aro 'chew' a big mouse isn't my cup of tea lol

She would finish of a mouse in about 10 seconds and all mice where bought in by the cats and half dead

I think it's horrible...I'm sure it's great for the aro tho... but does it have to be wee mousies?

Mice where only part of her diet. She also got feed shrimp, beefheart, whitebait, moths, crickets, dead lizards, blowflys, tadpoles and tetra bits!!!!! looked quite funny eating tetra bits as she would nibble them.