Mixing Leleupi

callum

I currently have 7 yellow leleupi adults pairing off.

And theres this very big female orange leleupi almost the same size as the biggest male yellow Leleupi and i would like to know that if they cross breed what would the young turn out like and if it would actually be sellable or would they just be hybrids that no one wants?

thanks Callum :bow:

Yep they will cross breed.

Are they then a hybrid, I can't answer that. Leleupi can show different colours ranging from yellow to orange. All to do with diet etc.

There are different colour morphs in the wild, depending on what part of the lake they are from.

So to answer your question,I don't know. As I don't know what they were bought as, their lineage....

If they are different morphs, then yes it is cross breeding.

Frenchy :D

I would keep the colours true if I were you - its not very easy to find good strong colours in NZ and personally I think it would be a bit of a waste to cross them. A to the whole possible hybrid debate - I don't think they would be classed as hybrids either, but I still think you should keep them separate to retain the more interesting variation in our limited gene pool!

As all the lelupi in nz are most likely mixed and brought in without locations etc wouldn't it be fine to breed the orange one with the yellows..

I mean wouldn't it be like breeding a orange guppy with a yellow one, I haven't seen many oranges around so maybe if you stuck the orange to a yellow and then line bred some babies you may get some of the orange ones..

I mean I dont want to produce hybrids as dont agree with mixing fish from known differing location's but as we already have a mixed bunch in nz would it make any difference?

I haven't managed to find much info on the orange vs the yellow lelupi as to wether they are a strain or a different species altogether.. Might be interesting.

I remember Lelus came in through importers rather a while ago now... probably within 2 year period. They were really nice. Nice deep vibrant lemon/yellow. A local shop that no longer is running ordered some in. They were certainly worth buying if they weren't so darn expensive at the time, close to $50 each. I wouldn't go mixing the orange with the yellow, as I doubt ALL in the country have been mixed as in yellows to the orange variation. I would go and search for some more orange variation and work on them that way, I had heard they are floating around somewhere. And keep your yellows to yellow. I have seen some really muddy looking Lelus in the past, yellow with muddy patching almost and muddy looking mask, would be nice to see the nice rich coloured ones kept going.

I mean wouldn't it be like breeding a orange guppy with a yellow one,

What?!?! Oh so its ok to breed one type of peacock with another then. Just different colours in some cases?

The guppy example you gave is just like the discus amongst others. Most are hybrids, come all are discus. What is 3 wild types? Then line bred to form a new trait.

There are a few different types of Leleupi's. If some were imported as yellows, some as oranges, then chances are they are different forms. Yes they may not have locations, but they are usually imported as colour. {Old school naming again lol}

Be best to keep it that way. Especially if one trait is hard to come by.

Frenchy :D