Africans & Clowns?

smidey

I have just looked at ryan jurys post selling some of his stock. it looks to me that he had clown loaches with africans. Is this correct? Is this possible? Anyone else done that? I ask as they have different water conditions recommended, I want to do this to.

Fairly common overseas for keeping Clown loaches with Africans.

Good for cleaning up

Do well in the higher Ph range

Can hold their own.

Am also thinking of adding Clown loaches to my African tank.

Only thing stopping me I like keeping the same Bio-type (is that the right word?) thing happening.

Regards

Andrew

Yep, it's common practice over here. Its just a case of being careful with ph adjustments.

My only concern with them is the sharp barb below their eye. If they want a cave a spawning cichlid wants, there can be trouble. I have seen the odd damaged eye to a cichlid, likely cause, clown loach.

Frenchy :D

in my area the tap water is very hard so my community tank that I have had for about 18 months has a Ph of 7.5 or so. my african tank has a ph of around 7.9 so these two water conditions certainly are not at either end of the spectrum.

Hi There. Ive got clown loaches with mt Frontosas and Peacocks and they are as happy as. They do a great job with cleaning and to date I hav'nt seen any aggression. Like previously mentioned though, It pays to slowly get them used to the pH and tank conditions.

It may be done, but I am not a fan, I like to keep fish in the required water conditions... I like African Synos as tank mates :D

Don't most syno's come from rivers/lakes with softer water than the rift lakes??

I've had loaches with africans before, as long as the pH goes up slowly they seem fine. IMO they're a much tougher fish than people give them credit for.

I keep Synodontis Nyassa which is from Lake Malawi, so in regards to my Synos, NO

I am not against people keeping loaches in with Afs, that's their choice, I just like the idea of "biotype tanks" however, I do realise that the "rules" can be bent from time to time :)