OMG I FOUND WORMS IN MY TANK!

fishtv

There are free swimming worms in my tank. They are white and vary in size. They are killing all the fish in my tank and not vets want to supply anything that will treat them.

Help Please.

What do I do?

They're killing your fish?!??

Are they attaching themselves to the fish? Are they hanging out their pooper?

On the big ones, do they have an anchor, like a secton that is thicker than the rest of the body? If so, they are probably tubifex worms, they live in the gravel normally eating excess food, they're harmless but my fish dont seem to like eating them. They're a pain in the ass in my oscar tank.

Good luck! I'm in Hamilton next week for a week, so if you're still having trouble I can poke my nose in.

Are they actually attaching themselves to the fish and killing them or do you mean your fish are dying in a tank that also has free swimming worms in it?

What size is the tank and what is in it? What sort of filter do you have and what is your tank maintenance regimen?

pure prazi costs *heaps*. you could use drontal buy you want to take your fish out for the duration of the treatment- theres a chance you would find a tank full of dead fish if you treat with the fish in.

copper based meds kill that sorta stuff too i think, not sure how copper goes with fish and good bacteria though.

Hey the fish have been dying for some time and I have only noticed the worms today. They are free swimming and don't seem to be attaching themselves to the fish. AS my fish have been ill my tank has been kept very clean. A really really good gravel vac at least once a week and with that about a 25% water change.... I'm really stumped...

Yep your fish have been dying for a while. When you treated your previous diseases did you use for full term?

I would say the worms are a result of over feeding, waste....ie; planaria.

You really have to look at what you are doing with your fish. As how much you feed, taking more care when you buy fish etc.

Praziquantel is in some parasite medicines here.

Copper can kill fish too.

Frenchy :D

So you are suggesting that my plants cause be causing this? I thought they helped? I dont have another tank to put the fish in so I need a way to fix this without removing the fish?

I am not suggesting your plants have anything to do with it other than they may die from large doses of copper sulphate along with your fish and that it will not kill planaria but formalin will but it might kill plants and or fish as well, and it will kill planaria. Planaria multiply quickly in tanks with excess food through overfeeding.

Stuff at LFS is only 5% I think.

Also unless you're seeing these worms actually biting on or attacking the fish,

then a Formalin dose will just make your tank problems worse.

Most disease treatments also damage your bio filter etc making your tank have to recycle,

which can result in fish loss due to ammonia or nitrite spikes.

It can take a tank 6 weeks to settle in to a nice cycle, and meds etc just make the process harder.

Worms are normally a sign of overfeeding, so reduce feeding to a small sprinkle once per day and see how you go.

this is not uncommon in aquaria.

It is in mine :lol: It is something that I haven't come across much in my time too.

Has fishtv done a goggle image search on Planaria worms, Anchor worms or Aquarium worms etc to find out what they are.

Or are we meant to keep guessing for another 5 days?

Frenchy :D