HARD CORAL PICS

reef

Very nice looking corals there Reef, and great photos too. I'd like a bit of both of those ;)

Here some from my tank today:

acro1.jpg

This one is a big success for me. This coral came as just 1 small branch about 2cm long. Although not particulary colourful its nice to look at and its job is to grow into a massive colony and hide a STREAM pump :o)

acro2.jpg

This one has turned out very well. It was recessed when I got it, brown and small. It has grown so much I have fragged it once and broken it in half, this photo shows the smaller of 2 pieces in the tank. Also notice some brown montipora attached. This coral is a nice yellow coral, and tommorow i'll some pics from a different angle to really show it off.

fungia.jpg

This is a clownfish anomne! hehehe OK maybee its really a Fungia (plate coral) but please don't tell the clowns...

frog.jpg

Ohhh and my baby frogspawn. Its a single polyped piece all by its self. Now I specifically posted my frogspawn so that JetSkiSteve could show us a 'real' one. How about it Steve, wheres that photo?

Lets see em people!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Caulastrea furcata (Trumpet Coral, Candy Cane Coral) has been a challenging coral for me. It would seem many people have different experances with this coral, but for me, it like shade, indirect lighting and medium low current.

This is were my problem is, my tank is lit heavly and has lots of water flow.

Anyway when its in a good spot it does well. I also have another colour variant of this coral, but I just can't seem to find it a home...

Caulastrea.jpg

Pies

Larger corals? Bah! My tank is full of match sticks! The other piece I have is quite large. I think I have a spot, will move it there in the weekend and see how it goes. I'll take a before photo and throw it up for comparison.

Reef - that tank pic you posted looks great. The Table Acropora in the background (green) is placed pefectly. I like it!

Pies

Here is a pic of an Plate Acropora. This is a small frag about the size of a thumbnail. It is a metellic green colour.

Plate Acropora are considered quite difficult to keep long term. Often surving for only a few months before going browner until they either slough, rtn, bleech, slump or find some other way of dieing.

All the same rules for Acro apply BUT with LOTS more water current (go the streams) and some say more light.

I have seen these corals many times in the wild and they seem to inhabit the tops of any bommies but grow in similar locations to other Acropora, but perhapp in more exposed places (read more current). I personally belive the seceret to keeping these corals is water flow, lots of it and random sweeping currents.

I have had this frag for about 3 weeks. I am happy as it has shown growth by encrusting its base. I know the mother colony is still alive but 1 of the other frags taken has already died.

plate11.jpg

How about my MUTHA Hydnophora colony? I have another large piece of this coral fragged from this. I have also given away/swaped 3 reasonable sized pieces and have another frag on the go.

One of my favirote corals, these things are D.E.A.T.H on wheels. So far everything they have touched has died. Some report sweeper tenticles, but I have yet to witness them, if anyone has photos of this I would love to see him.

This photo is not the best but I couldn't resist as there is the little blenny looking at me saying 'stick your hand in the tank and I will bite, go on I dare you'. Agro little beast these things. Anyone who sais they are friendly or reef safe is lieing. Mine bits me every time I stick my hand in the tank, it will also wrestle food away from a hawkfish. It has eaten 2 leathers so far, and I notice its biting at the one Adam gave me.

hyno11.jpg

That colony was grown for a piece about finger nail size. That pic has the polyps retracted, sometimes it looks quite hairy/fuzzy. Also in the photo its only slightly swollen, sometimes its twice as 'puffy' other times its as half as puffy and looks quite skinny.

I'd be keen to see some photos of the sweepers, as I am woundering if mine is perhapps a different sp. than others. I know I have 2 similar but different types.

Be also keen to see some comparisons on colour. Mine used to be more of a lime green, but over the past few months has become far more metellic in apearance.

Anyone who is interested in a frag enchange on this coral let me know. fast growing stoney. Loves current and light. Bright green, stunning coral.

Lduncan - If its the one reef had I have seen it, and yes it is a monster.

PHOTOS!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Encrusting and plating Montipora of some description. This coral was brown when I got it and has been growing well ever since. Its encrusted over 3 rocks, holding them together. Its also getting greener as it moves towards to the light.

piesmontigreen1.jpg