Puffers in a tropical community tank??

yarimochi

I used to have the Indian Dwarf Puffers and I tried them in a nice planted community tank to see how they would settle in and hell.. what a nightmare :lol: They are major little fin nippers and the plants gave them even more of an advantage to ambush any passer by :lol: :lol: They are definately well worth the effort tho if you want to keep them, but I wouldn't suggest to anyone that they go in with anything other than themselves and maybe a bristlenose or two.. :)

Meesheely - HFF Frost Rd occasionally have salt and/or brackish puffers (bigger, and not quite so cutesy).

The itty bitty freshies that you and i are after have been much more elusive - i think when we PM'd each other regarding finding some i mentioned that i last saw them well over a year ago and have been on a "waiting list" ever since (maybe they lost the list... :evil: )

Anyway, I wouldn't try my luck with them in a comm. tank - aside from some naughty fin nipping they could cause some real damage and the losses suffered would not be worth having a cute puffer in with your other fish for a while

(IMO) :lol:

the only puffers which can sometimes be ok with other fish are dwarf puffers i believe

Dwarf Puffers can be just as damaging :o :lol:

I haven't seen the Dwarf Puffers on the lists up this way since the ones that last came into my hubbys work, which was about a year ago.

haha thats why i said sometimes african.... they will tend to nip the fins of your fish or make circular marks on their sides- if i put my puffer in a community tank there would be no visible injuries as he just sucks them in and gulps them in one go!