Need Tank Idea.

TurtleOwner

Not sure if this is the right section, but move it if it isnt.

Anyway Hiya everyone, kinda new, sort of old. and hey my first post :)

To the point.

I'm looking at getting a new tank, size 1500x600x600mm for my turtle.

Two Options:

1) To make it out of glass, just your standard rectangle siliconed together, common fish tank with square corners.

2) Or, to round the front two corners of the tank to make it look rather 'flash' looking :) (Rounded corners meaning the depth sides and the front side been one continuous piece of glass)

Both options with a 'drain plug' at the bottom to drain all the water for water changes and cleaning :lol:

Questions:

1) How much would one expect to pay for either options?

2) Is it a good idea to have a 'drain plug' at the bottom especially when its filled and water pressure could cause the tap/fitting to leak? :(

3) Is having curved corners a waste of time and should I just have square corners, ie. is there cleaning advantages having rounded corners?

4) Should I just get a Jebo one (think i read on here they have one the same spec) or go to Port Nicholson?

I've tried faxing Port Nicholson Glass my idea/spec to get a quote, but it doesnt seem to be getting thru, the line keeps saying 'busy' unless its the wrong fax number??? :oops:

Does my tank sound good so far? :oops:

A "square" tank would normally be cheaper and would be OK to clean with the RTV in the corners. I have made square tanks and they are fine to clean. I have never had drains and just siphon out for water changes. Someone with drains would know if it is an advantage. Turtles are messy so good filtration and frequent water changes works for me.

Yeah thanks. I know I change my turtle water like every week :) :oops:

And well you see its quite amount of water to drain! So I had the idea of hooking a universal pump say to the drain plug, do a gravel vac of the bottom of the tank to get the 'large pieces' out and then use the the pump to get the remaining water out. Saves me lifting like 20+ bucket loads of water out every week when I can turn on the pump, hook it to the garen hose and water the garden with the water. :lol:

In the future I was hoping to hook the gravel vac to the tank outlet and let the pump do the vac for me. but thats just been lazy :lol: :oops:

one of my turtle tank has that exact spec, 5 X 2 X 2 foot.

it has a 40 X 50cm sand pit so the water part is only actually 1125 X 500 X600mm. i run CF1200 and only clean it once ever 4-6months with a 10% water change and top up every week.

tank cost $300 but thats Auckland prices so expect to pay around $500

Fishboi, how do you manage to not completely drain the tank for so long? Think I am following the 'hot house turtles' recommendation of a complete change every week :) and she seems happy :)

Yeah I'm going to have a basking area so that she can swim under it, therefore having the full 1500 length to swim in :D

Also the word siphoning, thats reason why I want to put a drain plug in, I mean you do a little gravel vac. and have to continue to hold the vac to siphone the water out dont you? (well thats how I have done it). So if you put a drain plug in, you turn on the pump, 'walk away' or in my case walk the turtle, give it some exercise. Making water changes a bit fast as you can do two things at once, hence saving time :oops:

Fishboi, how do you manage to not completely drain the tank for so long? Think I am following the 'hot house turtles' recommendation of a complete change every week :) and she seems happy :)

seems pointless having a complete water change when the water is crystal clear. i keep fish with them which helps clean up after them and a good canister filter is a must, i would suggest just getting the biggest one u can afford.