Tiger Barbs

Dixon1990

• 2 years later...

hey thanks neon. i just moved my lipstick & checker barb fry to free up my lil tank for breeding. I have a black ruby barb in breeding colors and hopefully the other is female,going to try them first then the tigers. Should be interesting as i have normal,green and green striped gold tigers to experiment with. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Barbs are fun and easy to breed! :bounce:

All barbs are egg scatterers and they will eat the eggs if they can find them, so it's good to have something in the bottom of the tank for the eggs to fall amonst so the adults don't eat them - pebbles, marbles, dense plants, etc. Also the adults like to do their spawning dance amongst soft, fine-leafed plants.

If you have the breeding tank in a room that gets bright morning light, the barbs tend to spawn in the morning. Then you just take the adults out and wait very patiently to see the little fry growing up! The survival rate and the quality of the surviving fry will depend on them having plenty of suitable nutritious food available, while keeping their water clean (it can be hard to get the balance right between feeding enough and feeding too much, resulting in dirty water).

Good luck to all the barb breeders! Let us know how you get on.