Polyurethane !!! Is it Poisonous

The Burglar

Hi There every one ... am new to the forum and am sure i am gonna enjoy this experience ... :D

What i would like to know is this ... is polyurethane poisonous to fish ... if i was to give particular items that i want to use as decore in my tank a couple of coats of polyurethane would the polyurethane leech toxins into the water at all ???

I will really appreciate the advice and ideas the forum could possibly give me on this topic

Thank you in advance

... The Burglar ... 8)

Polyurethane once dried/cured is non-toxic to fish. I've had a polystyrene tank back ground that I polyurethaned in one of my tanks for over a year now with no ill effects. It was also what the local fish shop told me to use (the guy's been in the fish business for more than 20 years and is someone I trust).

Just be aware that polyurethane under water looks a bit cloudy.

It should be safe, however I suspect its possilbe that some fish could suck throught it ir whatever, but I do know some people do this.

As stated it goes 'cloudy' or can change the look of the item (often bleeching it) when submerged. Not sure why.

Mark

It was also what the local fish shop told me to use (the guy's been in the fish business for more than 20 years and is someone I trust).

If the bloke you fore mentioned is the bloke at The GoldFish Bowl ... Then i agree with you ...he is someone to be trusted ... also if you have had this stuff in your tank for nearly a year now without ill effect then that is good enuff for me

Thanx alot Rob for your response

cheers

The Burglar

It should be safe, however I suspect its possilbe that some fish could suck throught it ir whatever, but I do know some people do this.

I dont intend to use any fish in my tank that i would perceive to be able to eat through urythane ... i intend to stock with discus , tetras and maybe cory's ...

Appreciate your response pies

Thank You

The Burglar

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a little late BUT: check out altexcoatings.co.nz they list specifications for their products which include various epoxies and polyurethanes.They come in a range of specifications and many while safe for total immersion are not recommended for potable water which is the highest safety standard.Good for future reference.

A good hunting ground for this, is where a cool-store is being built.

They have off-cuts, totally useless for what the want.

Go waggle your eye-lashes and see what you can score.

Or maybe, just ask nicely.

Only one problem, it has metal on both sides that has to be removed,

but hey, that's a cheap price.

Alan

We have a company here that makes the stuff. I have a friend who works there who gets me what I need. Among other things, the company makes the cool store things Alan mentions and prefab housing. They also produce the shaped poly boxes for packing wine bottles etc.

We had a tour of the place once and it was very interesting how it is made.