skinny little clown loach

suemack

went to the lfs last weekend for a piece of polystyrene and came home with 2 tiny clown loaches. One is just small, the other is small and very skinny. My 29 gall (36x15x15 inch) tank is underpopulated and well planted so thought...........anyway both are eating well and the skinny one has a rounded tummy now. Haven't had clowns before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thought that by the time they need more roomy accomodation I should have a bigger tank.........................well I don't really need the piano.

fa200657.jpg

sue

I have found them very easy to keep. My tank is well maintained, water changed etc. The are rpone to whitespot, so be carefull when introducing new stock.

Mine eat anything, but especially like freeze drive blood worms and shrimp pellets the most.

Very nice fish.

:D thanks - am keeping a very close eye on them as they were very stressed when I bought them. They have both developed a much richer colour in the last few days. Have been feeding bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp and spirulena pellets (they're not much interested in the flake foods) They really do seem to like all the hidey holes that are in the tank and come out and play in the current from the filters.

sue

Yeah they are, IMO, one of the nicest fish for freshwater tropical. Common, fairly cheap, well behaived, easy to keep, social and active. 10/10 :)

I am VERY stingy with feeding in my tank, often only feeding every 2-3 days. Mine will eat anything and everything. If i feed Zuchiunni (sp?) with a lead weight, they will even happily eat this.

I notice their colour changes a lot, often a light grey stripe, sometimes much darker. I assume its just their mood? I used to think water conditions, but I see them change daily sometimes.

I have 4 in my tank currently, and plan on adding another 4 very soon (tommorow).

Pies

:D update on the loaches. They are doing ok, feeding well. The skinny one is still thin but looking better - just have to make sure I put the food in several places in the tank as I have 2 B.striata in there that tend to chase the little one away. At this point until he gains weight am feeding them twice daily with a variety of different foods and doing regular gravel cleans to compensate as I am probably overfeeding.

:lol: sue

:cry: sadly I never had success with these guys, they are a very nice fish (well until they put on some size then to me they look a tad awkward)

I found out the hard way that they are also quite accomplished jumpers, after two days of searching for my "lost loach" I found that he/she had jumped out of the (covered) tank through the cable hole, and fallen down between the tank glass, and my somewhat (at the time) saggy backing paper!

I believe they are also keen on snails.....so that shouldn't be a problem for you anymore either (if it ever was)

Good luck with them, they are fun to watch, as they are always on the move.......

ChrisMack

:D thanks fee - I wouldn't have thought of worming fish. I'm not sure if I need to though as in the last 10 days they have both gained a lot of condition and it's now sometimes difficult to tell which is the 'skinny' one - should I go ahead and worm anyway?

sue - this is the skinny one now

fa0d5488.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: talk about the antics at feeding time tonight ......the clowns, the zebras and the new polkadots doing headstands and backflips round the tank...no-one else even got a look in :lol: maybe we'll start the veges tomorrow........

.....I think the skinny one is more like a Miss Piggy than a Thunderbird 2

sue :D