Braceless Tanks

Brianemone

I would like to completely remove the bracings from my tank.

Problem - it is not a small tank. its 1200x600x700 (600 high and 700 front to back)

I have seen alot of braceless tanks in recent times popping up on various sites, most are from ADA or similair in the states. Whats the go. ( i am expecting people to think its a bad idea but it doesnt hurt to ask)

Even you manage to get the bracing off (or fill the tank without bracing) I'd still keep that video rolling. Silicon has a tendancy to creep when put under load. You may be ok today, and maybe next month, but in a year it may suddenly let go.

Glass can also break after being put under constant load for a long time. I assume yours is nice and thick. Any defects (scratches etc) also accelerate the failure.

sup brian,

Lemme start off by saying I've seen some of your work (mods) and you rock!

back to the subject, I've been working with a stainless fab company on almost a daily basis for the last few weeks and if you work with the right people (namely Chinese that source materials overseas) you can't beat the value for money in stainless. Give me more info on what exactly you want for a quote, but it's pointless as you and your tank are way up there...

For that price for the stainless brace i would get the tank made in 15mm glass. will look better and might be cheaper than getting a tank made and then bracing it with stainless.

The tank is already made though, so im just trying to perfect what i already have.

LOL, nope, the tank i have is great, and even with its current (and even by most standards minimalistic) bracing it looks good, Diamante glass with a nice depth front to back all on a stand i made myself. I just don't know if i want to go to the extra expense to potentialy ruin a great tank.

I would like to completely remove the bracings from my tank.

Problem - it is not a small tank. its 1200x600x700 (600 high and 700 front to back)

I have seen alot of braceless tanks in recent times popping up on various sites, most are from ADA or similair in the states. Whats the go. ( i am expecting people to think its a bad idea but it doesnt hurt to ask)

A tank this size with no bracing will have the following safety factor:

Safety, Thickness

2, 10mm

2.5, 11.1mm

2.9, 12mm

3.8, 13.71mm (recommended minimum)

Make up your own mind what you thick is acceptable. I'd go for 15mm front and back and 12mm sides and bottom if you build a really good level stand. With glass this thick it would pay to get the edges ground so they are dead straight and square.