Goofy Aussie within!!! (you have been warned)

MollyMan

G'Day (geesh, I just cant help myself)

One of my web site admin buddies told me about you guys, and being that you are a little closer to home (than the U.S.) I thought I should have a look and say hi... I have been keeping fish for almost 10 years and am currently reknowned around the globe as the freak who swims nakey with his pet purple fish dude in any tank that I can fit in (just kidding - but that is kinda my trademark)...

I also feel that I have a little Kiwi in my blood as I was fortunate enough through my last job to have spent at least one week in NZ every month for almost 3 yrs... So having been to EVERY region over there, and driven the length of both islands at least 25 times I am as good as gold with the local scene... "Choice hey..."

What do I keep, well, where do I start...

Poecilia velifera - Sailfin Molly - Yucatan region, Mexico

Poecilia sphenops - Black Molly - Central & Sth America (Mexico to Colombia)

Poecilia reticulata - Guppy - Sth America, Brazil, Guyanas (show quality)

Xiphophorus helleri - Swordtail - Central America, Africa

Ancistrus temminckii - Bristlenosed Catfish - Amazon

Ancistrus Hoplogenys - Bristlenosed Peppermint Catfish - Rio Negro region, Amazon

Paracheirodon innesi - Neon Tetra - Eastern Peru

Paracheirodon axlerodi - Cardinal Tetra - Venezuala, Brazil, Colombia

Hyphessobrycon rosaceus - Rosy Tetra - Rio Guapore region, Sth America

Botia macracantha - Clown Loach - Sumatra, Borneo

Acanthorphthalmus kuhli - Kuhli Loach - Sumatra, Java, Borneo

Barbus tetrazona - Tiger Barb - Asia, Africa

Balantiocheilus melanopterus - Bala/Silver Shark - Asia

Gyrinocheilus aymonieri - Chinese Algae Eater - Asia

Symphysodon aequifasciatus - Discus - Sth America, Amazon, Peru

Michrogeophagus ramirezi - Gold Ram - Venezuela, Columbia

and I have a couple of tanks...

1 x 5g

1 x 15g

1 x 17g

9 x 22g

1 x 25g

1 x 30g

2 x 35g

1 x 70g

2 x 95g

...soon to be added 180g or 220g

and that does not include tubs, etc...

(if all tanks are in operation plus the growout tubs, over 900g/3400lt)

Basically you could say I am addicted...

If ever you feel like a laugh, feel free to drop into the lounge at my site, we are just nearing completion of a major upgrade, with many forums to have content added... some of you might be familier with some of my sister sites (run by some very, very good friends) PlantGeek.net & FishInThe.net

OK, thats enough of me blabbering... hope everyone here had a fantastic Christmas, and all the best for the New Year...

MM

Hi mollyman and welcome to the fishroom. Good to see you. Any friend of plantgeeks is a friend of ours :wink:

I think we will make you an honorary kiwi since you have probably seen more of NZ than most who actually live here - particularly the Aucklanders :D

Thanks Caryl... I read that article that mentioned PG.net (Off-Ice shot me a copy) AWESUM!!!

oh, and dont start me on the Auckland factor... I mean come on, why have a Freeway from the biggest airport in NZ that just stops half way to the city... HULLO??? McFLY!!! :wink:

lol

• 2 months later...

well... been quite busy of late... setting up a specific site just for Discus lovers in our part of the world... http://www.discusforums.com and am about to come over and torment some of the locals down on the Sth Island (actually... in only 3 days time)...

Question; what are the best options for prepaid internet??? being that I will pretty much stay in hiding around ChCh, Te Anau & the Glaciers???

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

:wink:

Hi Mollyman - welcome!! If you yell out g'day as you pass through the South Island one of us is bound to hear you!

Love the sites - nice also to have them in a familiar set-up. I'm looking at another tank and discus are headed to the top of the list so great to see some of the pix as can get only a limited idea from the odd shop here. Was eagerly awaiting the download of your guppy/peppermint b/n tank as we have been hearing alot about peppermints at this end recently but they do not seem to be around in NZ - shame I couldn't see any - camera shy?

Sorry no advice on the prepaid internet thing for you but if you do get hooked up - pop into chat around 9.00 pm and a few of us will be there.

Enjoy your "home-coming"

:P

Valuenet would be your best bet I think (although ChCh itself may have a local provider I don't know about since I don't live there) as they offer 3 months for $30 with a limit of 80 hours per month. Ought to give you enough time to keep up with your emails and spend time in here :lol:

Thanks...

My Minties do get a little camera shy at times... actually they are staking out nests at the moment... I have 2-3 confirmed pairs, well, if they class as pairs anyway, and the rest just fight for pole position...

here is what you couldnt see in the big tank pic...

album_pic.php?pic_id=27

album_pic.php?pic_id=17

...more pics can be found HERE!!!

:wink:

The supposed peppermint cats that I've seen for sale here have all been pale imitations compared to Mollyman's fish.

If the ones here even came close to those ones in the pictures I would have bought some, the ones I've seen though have the common bristlenose mottled dark gray with minute whitespots (so that it does actually look like a case of whitespot) and no trim on the fins.

Rob, as they age the trim of the dorsal and caudal fin fade...

They also turn a charcoal grey colour when under stress or in bad water conditions, although they are quite hardy and usually adapt to the water and colour up over a few days. But the white spots stay clearly visible, the first pic is one of my minties after 18mths, as you can see the dorsal trim has almost gone, but the spots are clearly visible... The 4-5 Large ones I have are very easily identifiable due to the clear spots, and pure black body...

HTH