pond sludge

Whiskas

Just bought myself an AquaPro Magic Pond sucker (i think that what it is called) and tried it out on the weekend. It works really well! Works like a vacuum cleaner ie it sucks up the sludge. Just join your hose to one bit and some PVC clear tubing to the other bit; turn on the tap and vacuum pond. You can see the sludge travelling down the PVC tubing and out onto the lawn or garden. Just thought i would let people know :)

Youa nd me both, Farmchick :lol: I've been trying to figure out how to clean out the bottom of the pond.

We have just "created" an un-lined, un-concreted, un-anythinged hole in the ground to capture the run-off and overflow of water from the dam and the paddocks. Its about 2-3000 litres and is now home to some goldfish but its so murky we dont see them anymore. :cry:

I dont know that any filter will be able to clean it up as there will always be sediment and bits and pieces coming through the pipes, but imagine the fun we could have with a vacuum :wink:

It cost between $25-$30 depending on which of my local petshops i went too. Then I had to buy the PVC tubing stuff which price depends on how much you get, I think it was about $3/m from the plumbing supplies shop.

farmchick - it doesn't appear to suck up the fish as it has slits in the end which are about 1cm (?) wide so only babies who dont swim fast enuf could get sucked up. I didn't suck up any, that i know of. If you are worried about it you could probably put netting over the end.

If the end gets covered with leaves or larger debris you just remove pond sucker from pond and remove debris with your hand, the water from the hose does not come out the end but carries on around and out the tubing.

The only problem with it is that it doesn't have a long handle so you need to get down and dirty (or just fall in like i did :lol: ) Although if you are a DIYer u could possibly build and attach a handle.

p.s. the name AquaPro the Magic Pond Sucker is the correct name :)