Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Altum angels

Featured Replies

So of all those people that bought altum angels off Phill at nz discus a few months back.What do they look like now.Any chance of some pics.

Did they turn out to be peruvian altums ?Or do we actually have proper Altums now in large numbers in nz.

I have 5 true altums in my planted tank. I bought them from amazonian in nelson. As far as im aware, phills were altum scalare crosses, whereas amazonians are true altums.... I dont realy have any pics of mine except for when i first got them and they were the size of 10 cent pieces. I will try get 1 or 2 sometime and post them for you....

yeah i got 2 off amazonian as well, dont know if they are ture altums but i belive they are ment to be, i wouldnt know the difference either tho :oops:

one of them has a funny kink in its top fin, looks just like a birth defect or something still looks cool :D

233608472.jpg

233608469.jpg

233608468.jpg

233608467.jpg

233608465.jpg

one of them has a funny kink in its top fin, looks just like a birth defect or something still looks cool

Yer, some of mine have them aswell, top and bottom fins. You can see in the photo sorta i think....

yeah i was thinking maybe catch it and try cut the tip off were its bent and maybe it might grow back normal?

haha what do you think?

i only got it on one of the top fins.

IMO if deformaties are noticable they should probably have been culled as soon as it shows it is a deformaty and like all deformaties should be avoided in the hobby.

I know some people will think this is a bad attitude and mean and they can be used as display fish, I fully agree that some responsible owners will keep them as display fish only but alot of people will breed them and then they will be common place best to keep what little altums we have in nz pure :)

I once bred angels and had a pair with a deformed fin (my first couple of fish I ever brought so I had no idea) and 90% of the babies were obviously deformed with bent fins etc worse than the one parent, nobody or the pet shops would take the babies so I ended up destroying them and seperating the pair and keeping them until they died.

That goes for all fish but again this whole thing is written IMO and noone should take offense or get angry about it they're still beautiful fish.

EDIT - for spelling mistakes :)

I agree there with you Ryan.

Those fish in my opinion are deformed and should have been culled to keep a good clean finnage line.

evilk.. wrote

As far as im aware, phills were altum scalare crosses

When I first saw the import from Phil they certainly looked like altum. I have a few of them and they don't look like either species 100%, so they may well be a X.

Some have the up turned snout but not as extreme as pure altum and the others don't look like peruvian altums aka P. scalare either as I had them and there colours are very different.

:( anyone wont some nice large angels going cheap for there display tank??

  • Author

Yeah,definately dont breed the deformed ones.I got 8 off amazonia as well.They growing really fast.One is a runt and one is deformed.I only paid for 5 so i'm not too worried about 2 runts.

I'll try putting some pics up sometime.

Hi All.

I must admit that I may have been guilty; :oops:

The fish I bred and sold didn't show the deformity at the time and even now the few that I have kept for myself dont show it.

I bred from (SUPPOSED) wild caught imports and had NO CONTROL over the choice of anything that I would have liked to see in the offspring.

If the malady had been visible to me at the time the whole lot would have been used as fish food.

If the fish are from me I sincerely apologise if they aren't up to Spec..

When buying them, they "WEREN"T SOLD AS A PAIR", but turned out to be a pair.

The female (as has been posted) has died and I still have the male.

Hopefully the few I have coming along will prove worthy of breeding from if there is a pair or two.

:bow:

lol personally I would be bitter if I brought fish for top dollar and got 4 out of 6 with bent fins.. I could tell as soon as the fins started to form on mine they were bent and no good :(

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.