Altum angels

SAFFABOY

I have 5 true altums in my planted tank. I bought them from amazonian in nelson. As far as im aware, phills were altum scalare crosses, whereas amazonians are true altums.... I dont realy have any pics of mine except for when i first got them and they were the size of 10 cent pieces. I will try get 1 or 2 sometime and post them for you....

yeah i got 2 off amazonian as well, dont know if they are ture altums but i belive they are ment to be, i wouldnt know the difference either tho :oops:

one of them has a funny kink in its top fin, looks just like a birth defect or something still looks cool :D

233608472.jpg

233608469.jpg

233608468.jpg

233608467.jpg

233608465.jpg

IMO if deformaties are noticable they should probably have been culled as soon as it shows it is a deformaty and like all deformaties should be avoided in the hobby.

I know some people will think this is a bad attitude and mean and they can be used as display fish, I fully agree that some responsible owners will keep them as display fish only but alot of people will breed them and then they will be common place best to keep what little altums we have in nz pure :)

I once bred angels and had a pair with a deformed fin (my first couple of fish I ever brought so I had no idea) and 90% of the babies were obviously deformed with bent fins etc worse than the one parent, nobody or the pet shops would take the babies so I ended up destroying them and seperating the pair and keeping them until they died.

That goes for all fish but again this whole thing is written IMO and noone should take offense or get angry about it they're still beautiful fish.

EDIT - for spelling mistakes :)

evilk.. wrote

As far as im aware, phills were altum scalare crosses

When I first saw the import from Phil they certainly looked like altum. I have a few of them and they don't look like either species 100%, so they may well be a X.

Some have the up turned snout but not as extreme as pure altum and the others don't look like peruvian altums aka P. scalare either as I had them and there colours are very different.

:( anyone wont some nice large angels going cheap for there display tank??

Hi All.

I must admit that I may have been guilty; :oops:

The fish I bred and sold didn't show the deformity at the time and even now the few that I have kept for myself dont show it.

I bred from (SUPPOSED) wild caught imports and had NO CONTROL over the choice of anything that I would have liked to see in the offspring.

If the malady had been visible to me at the time the whole lot would have been used as fish food.

If the fish are from me I sincerely apologise if they aren't up to Spec..

When buying them, they "WEREN"T SOLD AS A PAIR", but turned out to be a pair.

The female (as has been posted) has died and I still have the male.

Hopefully the few I have coming along will prove worthy of breeding from if there is a pair or two.

:bow: