Erythromycin Vs BGA

Graeme Jackson

I've posted this before and I'm going to post it again because this has come up a few times recently and it really irritates me...

Gotta throw my two cents in here...

Inappropriate use of antibiotics is what has us in the mess we're in with regard to increasing prevalence of multi-drug resistant bacteria and human health and, IMHO, any application of an antibiotic other than for medical reasons, is inappropriate. This includes the aquarium hobby. Its a prescription drug and any doctor/vet/pharmacist who doles it out like smarties is being very irresponsible.

Erythromycin might not be high up on the ever-decreasing list of effective anti-microbials but the principle is the same. In any case, erythromycin is only effective against blue-green algae and even then it will only eliminate the current bloom but will not rectify the cause so inevitably the bugs return, only next time slightly more resistant to the drug. There are other ways of eliminating algae and I think one has to address the cause rather than the result. Dosing with antibiotics removes the symptoms but not the cause, it usually comes back because the initial problem remains.

PS - I am not a crank

whew, feel better now.

I'd like to throw a penny's worth into the ring but as the lowest denomination coin is 10 cents you can have a dime's worth of my opinion and experience for free :lol: .

Taking the holistic approach, treat both the cause and the symptoms.

I've tested my water to discover that the phosphate level of 5 to 10 ppm (=mg/L) was most likely the cause of the original bloom (that will teach me to skimp on the water changes :lol: ). So several water changes later and some phos-ex the bga was still there :evil: just not blooming so I treated the tank.

However I can smell it :x in my other tanks although I can only just see it on some cambomba. Therefore I'm about to treat all my tanks so that they don't reinfect each other. The effect of this will be to remove all of the bga in my fish room so that if it ever comes in again it will be from another source and the risk of a resistant strain developing is minimal. BUT please note I have identified the source of the bloom first (i.e. me/waterchanges).

I'll need to invest in a set of nets and a siphon for each tank which makes cross contamination less likely. Good tank hygiene practices will pay for them in the long run :D .

The main reason antibiotic resistence is established is through treating with an insufficient dose or stopping the treatment part way through. This is why Doctors insist you take antibiotics until they are all finished. It is therefore important to use enough ( at least 2.5ppm or mg/l) and to dose again two days later. This will make sure there are no bugs left to become antibiotic resistent. They will return (from the environment) if you do not control the conditions which encouraged them in the beginning.

I got it from infected plants and I tried everything to get rid of it but nothing worked. Used Erythromycin as a last resort (and handily I work for a doctor so could get it without prescription) and it worked within 24 hours with no detrimental effects to fish or bacteria in the filter. BG has never returned.