December 22, 200322 yr comment_12044 Ok, so I've got all the gear now and today started setting up the new tankl Its 24 by 12 by 12 and running undergravel filter plus external filter. Ive filled it and set the filter going and bought a start up kit that includeds PH stabilizer, salt, ammo lock, stress zyme and stress coat. Ive added per the instructions and now I guess its a matter of waiting. When can i introduce plants & fish? I've heard that plants can go in straight away, is this correct? And fish? After a week i can add a few? like 5 or 6 small fish? Any tips would be appreciated Report
December 22, 200322 yr comment_12045 Put the new fish and plants in right away, say after 3-4 hours once everything's up to temp and the water is cleared anyway. The tank won't start cycling without fish. Report
December 22, 200322 yr comment_12046 You don't need ammo lock, salt (unless it is a marine or you are wanting brackish fish), Stresscoat or Stresszyme. You also shouldn't need pH stabiliser. What is the pH of your tap water? Plant the plants straight away and add 4 small fish. These fish will help cycle the tank. After one month, check readings of pH, ammonia and nitrates. If all levels are acceptable, you can add 4 more fish. Report
December 22, 200322 yr comment_12048 Ok, so I've got all the gear now and today started setting up the new tankl Sorry... But I disagree with the above "if you just got your tank today" By all means put the plants in if you must, but personally I would leave the tank for at least three days setup and running "before" adding any fish. This will allow you to check temperatures, plus other readings, and allow the tank to clear properly before you add the four small fish. JMO As above, the tank won't normally start the cycle without fish, but avoid adding additives if possible... they are easy to put in, but a pain to get rid of. Report
December 22, 200322 yr Author comment_12049 Ok well ive actually had the tank for about 10 years and tested it for cracks the other day as has not been in use for some time. Yesterday I just went and got some tubing for the pump lol, was the last stuff i needed. So far everything has checked out fine. The waters very clear for day 2 in comparison to my older setups. I was intending on putting some plants in tomorrow maybe and a few fish next week. From what I was told the stress zyme will help the biological cycle get underway? Ive been told this by a number of shops (i know they are probably after my $$ but $$ no real issue). Will this just help more when I get those first few fish in there? I was under the impression that a small amout of salt was recommended to be added with new water? Hmmm As for those 1st few fish what would you recommend? Report
December 22, 200322 yr comment_12051 Stress zyme doesn't help that way at all. It needs live whatevers to do the work. You are correct, and they got your dollars. To do it properly without fish, (fishless cycling), you use ammonia into the water, and daily checking with test-kit, that can cost a bit. I think if you put what I have in ()'s on the search, you'll find out how to do it Shove in half a dozen neons, they are bright, flashy, and cheap, a good displaying fish,and can be added to, if necessary. Alan Report
December 23, 200322 yr Author comment_12053 Cool will get a few small fish in there fairly soon, prob day after boxing day thanks Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.