Standard of Malawi's

Malawimad

I have been to several Pets shops and Aquatic shops around Aucland and am a bit destressed in the "quality" (nevermind variety) of Malawi's been sold. Years of inbreeding seems to have taken their toll to the point of runts been sold, maybe this has led to the slow sales in Malawi's, colours are just not up to scratch! I was put off by this!! Yes, Malawi's are easy to breed but hobbiest and pet shops alike should be more responsible!! Quantity breeding might make a quick buck now but could have devastating effects later to the species and industry!! I can clearly see the effects of "quantity" breeding in Auckland pet shops. I guess a weeks run around the petshops is not the full picture, could anyone point me to to Clubs, I am on the North Shore, Aukland.

Am I being fanaticle, stupid or do others share my views???

Not to sound too negative! I am impressed by the amount (and quality) of Tanga's here, have everyone started breeding them?

Merry Xmas

Malawimad

Ps: Maybe the two dealers I have not visited have the quality!!! :wink:

Malawimad said...

> ... do others share my views???

The generic Malawis you see every day have become a pretty

sad lot, largely IMHO due to hybrising and/or indescriminate

breeding.

There are some good fish (and breeders) out there but it may

take a while to track down what you're looking for.

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

To help combate this try buying african cichlids with genus,species & a third name usally LOCATION. Over here newer lines of africans come with all these details;where older lines of cichlids tend to be sold off with just genus & species. As we now know that certain species have different varients, they are usually now imported as such.

Good Luck

Frenchy :D

To combate that problem. Hmmm

(a)start befriending staff, arse kissing if you like, works good here with the aussie ego's. :lol:

The result hopefully you get to look at there order lists, seeing prices is a bonus too :D

some shops here the staff/owners only know common names,if that

(b) create confusion, throw heeps of scientific names & mention heaps off money, they'll show you what they can get then too.

"Beware the shop though that knows nothing, people will know this & flog there shit onto them, eg; lfs here on the coast selling Protomelas(r.empress) as Peacocks??? (r.eureka):o :lol:

Frenchy :roll:

• 5 months later...

yup i breed some of them

i have some neolamplaglgus chrystii's

they are a tanganyikan

and are completely black

i would be willing to let go of a couple if you are interested they have been inbreed with the electic yellow which i am trying my best to breed back out of them if you are interested in helping me do this im willing to supply some to you