Snails carry disease?

bubblestank

Ive had a pretty full on infestation of snails after buying some "tropical" plants from a certain pet store (not sure of species) Ive been a bit dubious about snail rid so have been squishing them when they've crawled up the front pane of my tank.

Ive let the carcasses float to the bottom with my Neons/black neons and gouramis eating them and possibly my bronze corys.

Just wondering if dead snails habour disease apart from adding ammonia to the tank by decompostion??

If anyone has had some bad experiences from squishing snails id love to here back from you.

in theory if you kill off heaps of snails and leave their bodies in there, they will rot and you may get an ammonia spike which will stress the fish and possibly leave them open to something (whitespot etc).

many beleive that snails act as intermediate hosts in a few parasites/illnesses but i havent read much about that so i cant really offer any advice on that one