Cleaning out plastic drums/tanks that has had chemicals etc

Insect Direct

Ive just gt a couple of blue drums through a mate and the label on them says "FOAM CONCENTRATE" for turf & agricultural use!

Id like to use them s storage bins but this stuff smells potent so is there any soap/chemical tht will clean them out (and be safe for fish) or is waterblasting them about the only thing i can do??

Thanks for your time, any suggestions welcomed :bow:

Thanks ppl, weathers not bad here shadowfax, lil bit of cloud hangin around but will no doubt burn off and be another scorcher this avo. might head out the river again later!

Um with these drums maybe if i stick the water blaster in them and give em a couple of good rinses then let it sit outside for a month or so untill mossies move in, then would it be safe to ssume theyre all good?

Iou1 got any suggestions where to get the food grade drums??

Personally I wouldn't try and clean them out the chemicals can soak into the plastic and leech out gradually either line them or get clean ones..

As to where to get them from I have no idea maybe go through the phone book and contact local catering companies or something like that?

MAybe you should find out what the chemical was in them before getting too worried. It might be nothing. I have used plastic containers in the past that have had nasty chemicals in them. I have just water blasted and soaked for a while, haven't had any problems (touch wood)

awesome yea ive given it a really good hose and scrub (couldnt borrow the water blaster today) and it seems to have cleaned up very well although still abit of a smell to it, ive left it out in the sun for abit (dam its hot here) then will give it another good rinse fill it up and test it on some minnows i think :lol:

Should be fine, thanks everyone for your help/ideas etc, I really appreciate it.

p.s Ira thats a good idea about the pond paint so ill keep that in mind but i think they may be ok now with a good clean and heaps of water.

It is the foaming agent that they use with agricultural sprays and it leaves little blobs of foam on the ground so they can see where they have sprayed. It is similar to the foaming agent they add to mothers dish washing liquid because she does not realise that soaps need to make bubbles but detergents don't and she wont buy it if it aint got bubbles. It destroys the surface tention on the water---sometimes called a wetting agent--- Water soluble---will wash away. I buy containers that have been used for food because they are made of "food grade" plastic and wont leach into water.