Poor Knights Dive Pics

skippy

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but hey - it is saltwater.

Thought some of you may like to see some pics of the local fishies

WaitangiWeekend2007030.jpg

Leatherjacket

WaitangiWeekend2007032.jpg

Blue maomao school

WaitangiWeekend2007059.jpg

and again

WaitangiWeekend2007061.jpg

and again :D

WaitangiWeekend2007040.jpg

stingray

WaitangiWeekend2007041.jpg

same stingray

WaitangiWeekend2007042.jpg

sanddaggers wrasse

WaitangiWeekend2007054.jpg

and again - this guy followed us for most of the dive and even headbutted the camera :D:D

WaitangiWeekend2007044.jpg

damsel of sorts

WaitangiWeekend2007048.jpg

again

WaitangiWeekend2007045.jpg

unidentified fish - check out the dodgy looking back on him

WaitangiWeekend2007068.jpg

massive stingray lying on the bottom. This photo was taken from the boat in about 6m of water. He must have been a good 6ft across his wings - he was huge :o

You need a bigger skimmer, Skippy, too much algae!!!!!!

Yeah but the tank is pretty heavily loaded - at least 1000 blue maomao and lots of big rays - but you should see my water movement :o:D . Didn't get any pics of the snapper either - too many of the buggers and plenty well over 10lb. Cheeky as too, weren't scared at all. Came up to the boat and one of the buggers bit me when I was feeding them some bread. Fortunately one of the smaller ones so I still have my fingers.

Also some of the kina are massive. Saw one that was about the size of a soccer ball - be a meal on its own if you are into eating kina (not this lad though :o )

Doesn't Ma Nature have a kick-ass aquarium. Obviously cost is not a consideration for her. :D:D:D

Northland is awesome for this sort of stuff. Gee I'm glad I live up here :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Is this the place that's real close to Goat Island?

No, that is also a marine reserve and is a superb place to snorkel around in. Goat Island is down by Leigh/Warkworth.

Poor Knights Islands is about 25 nautical miles of the coast of Tutukaka which is just north of Whangarei, also a marine reserve. The Knights is reputed to be one of the top 10 dive sites in the world (according to Jacques Cousteau (Mr Aqualung himself)) and some of the diving there is simply amazing.

We only dived one site on the weekend called Blue Maomao Arch - hence the pics of heaps of Blue maomao. It is quite spectacular as it can be wall to wall fish. The arch sticks out of the water and is about 5m wide, going to about 12 or so metres below the surface. Last time I dived it a few years ago you literally swam into the school of maomao. They opened up in front and closed in behind you so if you turned around it was just fish everywhere- just thousands of them.

Quite spectular stuff and also for snorkelling if you can get out there

yep, dived alot, fiji, and aussie, but my most spectacular day diving by far was at the poor knights, 200 feet vis, unbelievable life and colour, stunning arches and caves - almost makes me want to take it up again :D

and the damsel is called a 2 spot demoiselle (Chromis dispilusdam).

• 2 weeks later...
where are you based?

I live up in Kerikeri, Bay of Islands. Diving up here is pretty cool. We spent a long weekend in Tutukaka and did a day trip to the Knights

not quite the same colours at lt barrier but crays !

I'm pretty sure there is plenty of crays at the Knights but you may get in a bit of trouble if you help yourself :D