How to import tropical fish into NZ?

philosophy king

It is now just a money making venture/enterprise for the government, and all it does for the hobby is to increase prices whilst restricting the importation of fish and plants. :evil:

very direct comment. that sounds indeed true.

tax/fees from us=money=better policies on health/unemployment benefits etc= more political support = more power for the politicians.

It is now just a money making venture/enterprise for the government, and all it does for the hobby is to increase prices whilst restricting the importation of fish and plants.

yep, maf,erma,customs use it as a money making venture. most of the cost are not justified,

Try bringing in some nitrobacter, erma claims it is not in new zealand. what a joke.

As far as i am aware no one imports aquarium plants.

Hi All.

As far as I know (and I'll stand corrected) nobody is bringing plants into NZ.

The last lot that I knew about (unofficially) was when "Henry Tan", North of Auckland somewhere was busted for smuggling plants.

I am negotiating with a dealer at present to bring in almost "ALL THE SPECIES OF CRYPTOCORYNE" but as yet there is nothing set in stone.

The MAF issue is Ok, as the plants are on the allowed list, so I have my fingures crossed.

Hi again

We in the hobby, must realise that to import anything comes at enormous costs.

The main one is the financial one; then there's time, losses, and not to forget THE PROFIT MARGIN.

To be economic we must remember one golden rule.

PRODUCTION MUST END IN CONSUMPTION.

Factors affecting that are low population density, so if you cant sell it dont stock it. Price is also a factor, if it's too expensive..people wont buy it.

Money sitting on the shelf wasted.

WE AS HOBBYISTS HAVE THE POWER AND CAPABILITY TO BEAT THE WHOLESALERS

We are all capable of breeding fish and propagating plants; and we do , asd that's part of the enjoyment of the hobby.

Just drop your prices as I do, to cover my costs (NOTHING ELSE, AS I'M IN IT FOR THE HOBBY) and deal within the hobby. :roll:

Try it and see if I'm not right. :wink:

Just drop your prices as I do, to cover my costs (NOTHING ELSE, AS I'M IN IT FOR THE HOBBY) and deal within the hobby. :roll:

Good point i say. Infact, i dont realy like to sell things i propogate on my own. Sometimes its necisary to sell things for a small amount, but most of the time i give away my spare plants to someone who doesnt have them....

As for fish, well i guess its fine to sell the for a small amount. like a krib for $3 or so IMO is fine.... Just dont try sell at retail prices.....

Fish importers are in the business of making money by importing fish. They will therefore import the fish that will make them the most money. They are no different to someone who imports Japanese cars or junk jewellery from China. So if you want a particular type of fish imported you have to make it worth their while.

We in the hobby, must realise that to import anything comes at enormous costs.

The main one is the financial one; then there's time, losses, and not to forget THE PROFIT MARGIN.

I guess you could give us a summary of the big profit margins.

It’s a bit of a fallacy that there is big profit in importing fish.

If it was so profitable then you would have far more importers than the current hand full and so many have come and gone.

So if you want a particular type of fish imported you have to make it worth their while.

I dont think that would be the case as you can only import what is available on day of shipment.

If they dont have it you cant import it.

also you can only import what is on this list

http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz:80/impor ... ic.all.htm

This is the new Maf list.

Yes fish might be on the Maf list however you can only get what is available at a supplier. Some fish are hard to get due to many reasons.

I have seen freshwater supplier list overseas and i think the current importers are doing a great job with all the variety they bring in presently.

The bad news is that DOC want to remove some fish on the current list. That is another story I don’t want to bore you with as it is being handled by the importers and I wonder who pays for all that time that is spend working with DOC/erma/maf.

Some hobbyist just need to forget about pricing and move on , appreciate what we have as it is not getting easier.

That is always the rub. There is always different opinions of what will survive in NZ. When I was sending live tubifex to the North Island it was stopped by Maf to avoid the spread of whorling disease (which I understand is indemic in many marine fish). They thought they were coming from the city oxidation ponds but they were not, and everyone who knew wanted to keep the secret.

Reading all of this is very interesting as I just looked into this subject myself. From the information I got it seems to be not too difficult to get fish into NZ, the difficult part is once the fish arrive here.

After talking to a very helpful person from MAF for quite a while on the phone this is the information I got:

As long as the species you want to get is on the allowed list all it takes is a licence to import which costs $150. You need to list all the species you want to bring in and can have multiple species on the licence which is valid for 12 months.

The hard part is the quarantine and finding a facility which is doing that, this is the part where I got stuck. Another thing I am unsure of is the documentation which has to accompany the shipment, I don’t know if this is a standard with a shipment or if this costs extra.

it cost more than $150. you have all the other cost like inspection fee at $100 p/h. audit which can be over $1000, etc

There are many other things Erma look at other than if they survive in nz, like disease they carry.

Apparently Corys /barbs carry some sort of disease.