Killie tank size

HandS

Both times we have been to aquanuts, Helen has come back craving killies, so its about time i built her some killie tanks. The tank i am building is 70x30x20 (wxdxh) and am looking to divide it into 7 10x30x20 sections. The Question is, will this be big enough for a pair of killies, and is 20cm high enough. I have only cut the base, so can ulter plans if need be, but i have gone with 20cm high because it fits in with the glass i have.

These tanks will only be for breeding, i have other tanks for growout etc

It comes down to the type of filters or how often you want to do water changes. They don't need a lot of space but most fish prefer good water conditions. My killi tank is 1200 x 450 x 400 high and in 6 sections. This gives a bit of room to adjust water levels to vary temperature (heated with a heat pad) and gives some "head room" when doing water changes so they are less likely to jump out. I have no aeration filters or heaters. I have java fern with the fish normally and put them in bare tanks when breeding. Works well for me. I seperate the sexes as soon as I can see the difference and grow them out in bigger tanks with similar species together.

thanks alanmin, each tank will be running its own sponge filter, im thinking about making my own to cut costs, and save space, not shure about heating yet, but i think they will be fine with out a heater, our lounge is warm right through winter, and the tank will be situated at eye level, and heat rises :D

I's up to you Hands weather you have 5 or 7 tanks, the 300x300 is plenty big enough even for the largest killi we have here - cus I use to breed then in that size tank.

Good luck, and don't do what I did last week - Tryed to chop my hand off when cutting glass = 5 stitches later :roll:

p.s trio of blue cichlids I got off you - both females have fry :bounce: :bounce: The red ones do too. :bow::bow:

What you have built is great. I want one. Perfect for breeding. Its like stopping off at a motel for the night, doing the business a couple of times, and leaving in the morning. How much would you do me one for? A tank that is :-) Cut to dimenions for the bunning stands that you use as well of course. Maybe a trade in killies for tank would interest you mate?

Cheers

Tim

I have made hundreds of tanks and never had one leak---until I made my 6 compartment one for killies---had to reseal it and it is fine now. If a tank is cut square, when it comes together the RTV joining it is enough to seal it and the added seal on the inside is a bonus. I got this cut and it was not quite square and then in the confusion of six compartments I overlooked the fillet in one small area. Works a treat now.

Just curious--- how did you get them lined up nice and equally. I drew the lines on the outside with a felt pen then wiped it off with meths later. Don't see any marks on yours. Great job, I think you will find it great to work with. I made all the partitions including the ends shorter by the thickness of the lid (polycarbonate) and the lid slightly longer than the tank so it is easy to pick up. Killies here we come?

Hi this is Helen, just letting you no i love the tanks and they look great, he has even done the back so there is only room for the air line and the lid has got glass stoppers on them so that is sits perfectly in the tank. He even did a handle so it didn't have to fiddle around with the flat lid. He has done a great job and i am one lucky women.The best valentines i could have asked for. Now the hard work is left to me to get the fish and breed them. I can't wait bring on the killies. Umm time to check trade me again i think lol.