Ok, let's talk hardware!

fattythecatty

So I've bought my new 4 footer and now I'm gonna have to set it up. What sort of hardware should i be running ie: heaters, filters etc? Don't want to spend a fortune but what will I need? Oh and not hardware but what sort of substrate would you reccommend, something my clown loaches will like? Cheers.

What are the other dimensions? Need to know how many litres.

If it's under 300L then:

2 x 200W heaters ($25-30ea) (AquaOne,AquaClear,Elite all good in my books)

1 x 1200L/hr external cannister, + maybe an internal for extra flow (optional) (~$138-$200) (Aqua One CF1200 is $138 + 5 postage from petplanet on trademe/on here)

Double 4ft Fluoro, (AquaOne 40D ~$120 incl tubes www.sog.co.nz)

Thats my pick :) see what the others say

If you dont mind spending a little more on filtration, an AquaOne Aquis 2200 or 2400 will keep the water cleaner, promotional price is $229 and $260 but that wont last for long.

As for gravel I've got my loaches in with some dark 3-5mm pebbles, they were $5 a bag at Mitre 10, they're not sharp. I needed about 10 bags though, maybe more if yours is bigger than 1200x380. I figured they'd love sand? not sure

when putting heaters in, put them at opposite ends of the tank.

i have a 300w heater, in my 4ft, close to the filter so it circulates the heat around the tank. i have a 200w as a back up at the other end set 2 degrees lower than the 300w. this way it will only turn on if the 300w fails.

I've located my heater just under the outlet for my filter so that warm water is pushed around the tank.

Yes 2 heaters is recommended but if you budget doesn't extend to 2 x 200w then get one 300w.

substrate I used is brightwater (dark shore sand)

lights.. definitely double 4ft (aquaone)

Filter... I like Fluval so recommend Fluval 405

there are others but I think in some cases it comes down to personal preferences. Jebao are also good, nice price too from www.deepblueaquarium.co.nz

yes double 4ft ....... for a xtra $20 get a jager heater. you will only need one 150w and it will never let you down best heaters money can buy

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pets-animals/Fish/Pumps-filters/auction-86179311.htm

for a filter i recomend fluval..... only ever used fluval or sump filters

IMO go sand for the bottom. just go to a pool or water filter shop and you can get a big sack for $20 and its nice and clean..... have a look at this pic ive just done a breeding tank put sand in straight from the bag (as i always do) 20 mins ago and not much murkyness or anything and the fish love it and it holds the the plants in well if your going to plant it...... thats my 2 cents worth :D

tanksand.jpg