Compost

SpidersWeb

Compost will put too much soluble nutrient into the water and cause algae problems. I have used peat in the past for some plants but you only want a little and I probably causes more problems than it is worth. Although I haven't used it Daltons aquatic mix is probably the cheapest and tends to be prefered by a number of people here. Too much organic material under the media tends to go anaerobic and cause problems.

it really doesn't get much cheaper than Daltons Aquatic mix [$10 for a 15 litres?] whats the tank size u want to cover?

Yup, like he said. Spider, if you have any left over after you're done let me know. I'll need a LOT of that stuff soon. At that price there's no going wrong even if you have 10L sitting around anyways.

PS- Hardware shops are the place to get Daltons. Mitre 10 Mega always has it sitting around in the gardening section.

i making putting dalton aquatic mix as base and then dalton propogation sand on top. haha...this way....the brown colour of aquatic will be at the bottom layer. then i push plants root right up to the aquatic mix base. plants will feed off that. plus with propogation sand my hair roots really started to spread out ....unlike the one with the odinary fish gravel.

i just picked up 2 bags of the daltons aquatic mix for two 4ft tanks. there may be some left over if anyone wants it. don't think i'll really need the leftovers as i won't be upgrading the tanks til i move.

does kings sell daltons propogation sand? i couldn't find it at the silverdale store.

i was planning on using brightwater gravel mixed with small riverstones and a layer of propogation sand between the aquatic mix and the gravel. still not sure about it tho. :-?