Glass rating guide + tank ideas

skuzza

We will hopefully be moving in a couple of years and i am starting to round up some bits for my new tank and get some prices on materials.

Looking at building a 8 to 10 meter fish only. We were thinking around 20mm thick by 8 to 10m long by around 700mm high. So far we have come up with making it out of concrete or maybe marine ply with a fiber glass inside. Kind of like a insideout boat. Also lighting ideas? This is not a joke.

The only thing that will make it smaller is the house or the price of the glass front.

I'd be thinking acrylic rather than glass at that size. Our tank is less than 1.5m long and uses 12mm glass, so 8 metres umm yeah thats some glass.

Message TankMan on here, he makes tanks of this calibre on occasions, in all shapes and sizes too. Probably a good idea to get a quote too lol

I'd definately say 'dont try this at home'. You're talking about 4 tonnes of water here.

I think it'd be pretty impractical to use T5s for a tank that size. You'd probably end up needing something like 60 4ft T5s, I think it'd be much easier to go with a dozen MHs.

It's "fish only" so as long as he can see into the tank doesn't really matter what he uses. Personally I can't see it staying fish only hahaha but hay!

Im going to try my hardest to stay fish only so i dont spend every cent i have. :D

I wish i won lotto. Thats a good point t8's would do it.

How does acrylic stand up to cleaning and the age of time? . Will it scratch easy ? .

By viewing panels do you mean have glass sections with joins.

If power was cheaper i would go coral but can you imagine the power bill of running 30x 400w MH lights plus 20 streams and the pallet loads of calcium and mag etc.

:o

What about the tank itself. Any ideas there.

I would go the skylights aswell. Then throw on two or three halides with lumenarc reflectors for massive light spread. It would be well worth it for the ripple effect in the water that you do not get with T8's. Also the T8's just won't have the light punch for a tank that deep.

There was a tread ages ago about a guy that made a shark tank in his house. It was huge. I think he used overlapping ply and then fibre glass.