Bronze Corydora eggs

northland chic

I bought 2 bronze corydoras from the pet shop in Kerikeri about 2 years ago, they were selling them as tropicals that live in coldwater. They have lived with my goldfish since then and have survived some low temperatures I would think, at the moment their tank is 20degrees C. I moved them in with my baby goldfish to help clean up left over food. I noticed one had been getting quite fat and one staying quite slim. I look this morning and saw her and him swimming together and sort of harassing each other. A few hours later I noticed her swimming around with eggs between her fins so far she has laid about 80-100 and still going.

How long will the eggs take to hatch?

What do I feed them?

I'm so excited! If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

:P:D

What fun! Corys will breed in temps 20 - 24C. Incubation is 4 days and you feed the young on newly hatched brineshrimp. You could also buy fry food for egglayers.

When the fry hatch, lower the water level to about 10cm. The fry will feed at the bottom and surface, where they will swim belly side up. Adding 1tsp salt to every 50 litres of water will help survival rates.

Weekly or fortnightly water changes of 2/3 of the water will make the fry grow faster. The fry are sensitive to some kinds of treated tapwater so it might pay to let it stand for 24 hours before adding it to the tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have been away on holiday for a week. While I was away they had eggs again and my biggest baby goldfish ate them. I was watching the tank and saw another tiny little baby about 2-3mm long, he was happily searching around for food. When the same big goldfish come up and ate him! So now he has moved to a new home. But the original little baby is still swimming around, hes about a cm long maybe a little bigger.

When I feed brineshrimp I hatch them in a bowl (one of those common ones with the coloured top and bottom pieces) with an airstone. Have been getting my best hatch results ever. I siphon them out through a piece of cloth and a tea strainer. Then tip them into fresh water before feeding.

I went away about a month now out fishing (my partner is a commercial fisherman) and left his mother in charge of my fish. I don't think she did anything but now they are so scared. They hide all day under an ornament and get the biggest fright when anyone goes to the tank.

• 1 month later...