Copperband Butterfly Fish

raeh1

I was thinking about a copper band, and still are. so I put some time into keeping them, I only say this because this is what I have been told...

Because they are slow feeders , they can miss out on food etc and a good way is to squash mysis shrimp into some rock/coral and this will allow them to pick it out.

They are also fussy eaters, so what food was the shop feeding them? maybe try some kind of transition to an alternative food source.

Good news on the anemoes though.

Is it looking healthy? moving around etc, or is it sulking.

I guess I must have been lucky!! Both my copperband and mandarin started eating frozen mysis I stuck in a rock, then two days later they knew the taste of it, and bingo, they feed just like all my other fish. :bounce:

Yes they are a very difficult fish raeh1.

In the wild they pick over rocks for small polyps & crustaceans so most of them are very ready to eat small live shrimp such as mysis. From this they can, as has already been stated, be shown to eat frozen ones, but they can be slow learners and the huge majority of them do not keep up with the other fish & end up starving.

My own one started out eating live shrimp only which I caught in an estuary, he lived in a tank by himself so I could float a few dead ones around without them getting picked off by other fish, eventually the copperband caught on to eating them. Then he went on to shredded mussell and then I started blending flake & pellets in with the mussell so now he eats everything & lives in the main tank with the other fish. It was a long and time consuming process though took about 6 months till it was ready to live with other fish.

Just to show what a hard fish they are though, another member recently asked me if I could train 2 copperbands for him, so I put them in their own tank & started them on live baby shrimps, all went well for a few weeks & then I went to the tank one day & they were both dead of mystery causes :cry: . So sad to see such pretty fish dead.

Anyhow the other member decided to try again, bought another 2 copperbands & put them in the tank, again all went well for a while and got them started eating frozen food, then one of them got a bacterial infection which slowly spread over a few days, then the other one got it, & eventually lost both of them :x:(:(:( .

So the other poor guy had paid for 4 copperbands, with none surviving. At this point I was feeling pretty bad myself over the whole thing and we decided not to try again. :oops: . I don't think any of these deaths were feeding related though, progress was being made but other problems struck.

My own copperband recently went a bit ratty looking but I realised I've been pretty lazy lately and just been feeding it flake for quite a while. I varied the diet giving it some fresh shredded mussell and other goodies & he is now back to his usual self :D .

Some people have success with copperbands and they are certainly a beautiful addition to a tank but they have to be regarded as one of the hardest fish.

It's in a "refugium" with mysid shrimps floating around?

If there are no other fish to gobble them up he should catch on, specially if it was already eating in the shop.

To turn mussell into bite size bits for it you shell then freeze a couple of raw mussels, then grate them with a fine cheese grater. This is then kept in the deep freeze for use as required. Once the copperband is eating frozen mysis the next step is get it eating the grated frozen mussel, much cheaper plus you can mix in flake & hopefully teach it to eat flake.

If you live near a sheltered estuary, it is glass shrimp breeding time now, in some sheltered shallow spots there are millions of baby glass shrimps, just 2 or 3 mls long. If you can catch some they will really titilate a copperbands appetite they love them.

raeh1 good work. Like most I have tried a Copperband and was doing well by target feeding using a syringe. Defrost mysis and suck it up a large syring attach the syring to a stick and use a piece of small pipe to put another stick through to push the syringe and I had him eating from the end of the syring. Went away for work for a week and the wife did not do what she was told and the poor little bugger lost condition and I could not get his strength up again. Should have put him in the sump but did not. Got suck in to the stream :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

now eating brine shrimp. Home grown. (and water fleas as well, as long as it wringles its toast....... :lol: :lol: )

Tipped tons of brine shrimp eggs into a big container outside a month ago. Just add liquify stuff once every 3-4 days. And bringo live food.

Stilll looks at frozens..... maybe one day he eat them.... :roll:

Healthy and holding his weight

Worried though. I'm overseas for a couple of weeks soon.. not sure how he will do with random feeding patterns..... :(:(

Cheers Ru