NSW & Live Rock - HELP!

nz_mitch

Hi everyone,

I got some great help from people in the Beginner's corner last year about setting up a small freshwater tank that's gone really well and I'm not thinking about doing a marine. The MTS I was warned about seems to have set in...

I've read a lot around the internet and specifically this forum and just wondered if you could clarify a couple of things:

- I live in Takapuna and it seems to be that it's a recommended place for NSW. When you get it, do you just go down to the boat ramp with drums and fill them with water then heat it/balance salinity etc. and add, or is there a neccessary filtration process? Also, is it feasible to just take a drum down to the ramp and fill it (provided the conditions are alright)?

- Live rock: What's the best way to do this? I'm quite happy to leave the tank cycling as long as neccessary but I'm still not sure what the best thing to do with live rock is.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mitch

best thing to do is buy the rock live.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 831396.htm

make sure you know what you are getting yourself into...

ontop of the increased prices for lifestock there is also costs involved in; skimmers, test kits, Metal halides, extra electricity, refractometers, sumps, powerheads, return pumps, RO units chemicals etc....

the day to day care and upkeep of a sw reef tank is also much higher than a fw tank too...

Its a great hobby but just make sure you have the cash to give your fish and invertebrates the best possible home...

don't you heat it up before doing the water change steve? At wook we have a 10,000 L holding tank with a big heater in it and one of those big eheim return pumps to keep the water stirred up. my boss does all the water collections at takapuna or south titirangi with his trailer rig. Quite cool...

While on the topic how long can collected sea water be kept without being circulated around and still be Ok for useing? The reason I'm asking is that there are are a pair of coldwater seahorses I'm considering purchasing, i'm not close to the beach and so could only collect water once every few months, and put it all in a shed without power to store it all, I thought this wouldn't be an option as the sea water needs to be always circulated by an airpump to keep the salt and water mixed...Am I wrong?? :oops: :oops:

used to run a uv light on it before i do a water change..just to kill of any nasty parasite in nsw..and better water quality

Good idea, you see so many people use seawater and have so many problems, some importers use NSW and they have wiped out shops tanks with diseases, Rotorua and living waters have had major problems recently i was told.

Did a microscope test on some NSW and you could sea all the parasites.

The main problem with NSW is the bacteria in it, can cause serious losses to livestock.

I use NSW for a range of cold, temperate and tropical marine tanks with mechanical filtration on it only. Don't really buy into the theory that ASW can be any better. Use Uv sterilization on most small aquaria and ozone on the large aquairums. I think possibly in the long term the only thing in Auckland that may cause a problem cumulatively is the heavy metals in the water.

with the reef tank at work we use NSW. there isn't even a skimmer in there- we can get away with it due to the relativley small bioload. Infact none of the tank at the museum have skimmers going at the moment- just trickle filters (filter wool and bio balls) and carbon filters. At home I use ASW simply for convenience. I bought a 50L plastic rubbish bin for $4 and just mix it up in there... i would prob use NSW if I didn't get salt wholesale...

The main problem with NSW is the bacteria in it, can cause serious losses to livestock.

Have you had a look at the water from a fish tank? Is there any major difference in the bacteria and parasite count? What about the difference between a heavily skimmed tank and an unskimmed.

some importers use NSW and they have wiped out shops tanks with diseases, Rotorua and living waters have had major problems recently i was told.

What do you mean recently? thats the same dribble you PM'd me months ago! I guess who ever stocks HFF Albany uses NSW too ??

Good idea, you see so many people use seawater and have so many problems, some importers use NSW and they have wiped out shops tanks with diseases, Rotorua and living waters have had major problems recently i was told.

struth its the same old @#$% every time i visit. reef get off your boat, "i was told" is not concrete evidence.

probably from your hands after you stirred it up

The main problem with NSW is the bacteria in it, can cause serious losses to livestock

yeah, must be why jetski, cracker and pies tanks are so crap.

if you are that concerned, run it through UV. i picked up 800 litres from takapuna today. i store it in a 1,000 litre container under the house, leaving a power head in it to keep it circulated. the cost of ASW is the only thing that stops me using it, this hobby is expensive enough as it is. getting NSW gives me an excuse to go to the beach every now and then anyway :D