Freshwater Puffers

Lucid

animates have had them a couple of times and i was thinking of setting up a species tank for them and maybe trying to breed them, but really know next to nothing about them and can't find much on them, or i'm looking in all the wrong places.

I wouldn't go with the tiny ones that Animates usually has. I think they actually prefer brackish water, stay pretty tiny and are nippy little buggers. I'd suggest Brazilian puffers. They're more placid, are definitely freshwater, get a bigger and are nicer looking. They're more expensive than the yellow spotted puffers? at Animates though. I think I got my pair for $30 each. Figure 8s are nice too, but they're a bit more expensive again.

I have a species tank with Both Brazillian and Dwarf (i think!!...they are Little & yellow) Puffers, Initially I started out with 6 Brazillians' and 8 Dwarf's.... after about 4-5 months I now have 5 Brazillian and 2 Dwarf Puffers.

I would like to say that they past away of natural causes....but I'm yet to find a dead one, they always seem to be consumed before i realise one is missing. I havent witnessed any aggression towards each other, except for the usual squabbles at feeding time.

All of my puffers feed on Flake food, sinking pellets, Frozed bloodworms and on the odd occassion shrimp.

Cheers,

Jared

i have 2 colomessus ascellus and two figure of eights in a freshwater tank. they live together peacefully and have done for about 10 months. there are no other fish in the tank though, so its a bit of a pain to keep algae free. mine eat chicken, prawn, fish and frozen bloodworm. the ascellus also eat flake and sinking pellets but the others wont touch them.

Jell

I had a couple once but, like someone else said, they would only eat snails - and tons of them. I could not keep up with their demands and unfortunately they died after about 6 months but they were cool looking fish! I had them in a tank on their own and tried to get them to eat other foods but no luck.