Questions

Aquarium Dude

Depends how good you want it to be, to do right you need around two to four thousand dollars. ( Minimum ).

Nobody believes this when they start, hence RnB's post. What normally happens is people try to set one up for a budget of, say, $500.00 or so, and to do that get cheap lights, cheap or no skimmer, spend the precious few dollars they have on a cannister filter when they don't need one, etc.....

At first all seems well with the tank, but within a few months things start going wrong with the tank, and they are forced to spend money to fix the various issues. At this point people either leave the hobby, or buy the equipment they should have had in the first place, and lose the money they spent on the cheap stuff.

Sound cynical? just I've seen this over and over.

There are several ways to set up a small tank properly, but here is one ( basic ).

Tank & stand $150.00

Live rock $250.00

skimmer $750.00

lights $400.00

heater $30.00

powerheads $150.00

test kits $200.00

livestock $500.00

These prices are just an idea of what you might be able to get away with, could be more or less, but it's a basic idea for you, plus there may be a few other bits and pieces you may need such as thermometer, additives, fish food, etc....

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Checkout this link. It will give you some clues as to where to start.

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.php?s=&name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

And then look at how I setup my tank.

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/1-vt9619.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

You will be looking at Minimum $1800.00 just for the equipment alone, but you can start purchasing the stuff a bit at a time.

Do a lot of research on this site and on http://www.reefcentral.com

Good luck and don't be discouraged. Make sure you get it right THE FIRST TIME. It will save you money, time and heartache in the long run.

My tank has been running for 14 months and loving it. Well worth the effort. :wink:

What do you mean by 200 wide?

If you're talking mm then, assuming say 600 long,

600 x 200 x 300 (tall tank) = 36 litres, thats very very small

I've never crossed to the dark side purely because there is no way I could afford to, I can't even afford MH lighting for my freshwater aquarium :( but still I do read this forum a lot, and '200L' seems to be a common minimum size I see recommended a lot,

1200x450x380=205 litres, can be found new for ~$150, but looking at the prices of equipment, and corals, and livestock, the cost of the glass is the least of your worries.

Certainly looks to be worth every single penny, you've just gotta have a lot of pennies! :lol:

Here is a picture of Helifax's tank. I have seen this tank in person and it is even more attractive in real life. It does have a sump. A sump makes life easier as you can hide all the equipment such as skimmer etc. in it, although a sump is not absolutely essential, I don't have one, but because of that my tank is clutzed up with ugly equipment.

You can have a tank 200 mls wide, however because of the way corals grow, and the kind of current you need, such a narrow tank will add quite a lot of difficulty to making the right conditions for your corals, in fact you will never really get it right. However, it can be done, if you HAVE to.

When Helifax started his tank he did a LOT of research and therefore did not fall into many of the pitfalls that beset new reefers, but i think he has upgraded some of his equipment since he started, nonetheless. If you set up the size tank you want, then followed his model as per his thread, you will not go too far wrong. He is also a nice guy and would be happy to chat with you via pm. ( Sorry if I'm wrong Helifax :lol: )

Tank.jpg

How bigger tank could I get into the hallway

bad idea to put a reef tank in the hallway. you want to see it all the time and thats not really possible in the hallway. also a hallway has to much traffic that will scare the fish, ie. causing whitespot due to stress. try to find a quiet place where you can enjoy the tank (and not just as a piece of furniture in the hallway) it should be more then that, otherwise why bother?

Yes you want your reef tank where you will see it all the time, you will want to just watch it and sitting in the hallway watching a tank with a beer on a friday night is not a good look.

Oh try and keep it off carpet but you will know this from your fresh tanks.

We have seen a lot of people with fresh tanks want to keep a reeh tank also. But the $$$ and skill and rewards of a reef tank you will find very few reefers have fresh tanks. They generally only have one tank which upsets the wife enough.

Try going on holiday for two weeks with a 1000l reef tank, worse than dogs and cost more than the wifes car.

I am in the middle of setting up my first tank at the moment. I have been researching solidly for the last three weeks. I've shopped around to get the best deals, while still getting quality equipment, and totally agree with all the advice on budgets you've recieved.

I have had some seriously sweet deals and am still looking at $1800 to kick off, without livestock.

I think there a lot of costs that are the same in both salt and fresh, but a good skimmer and higher costs for livestock quickly make a huge difference.