Red Slime Remover

Duke

IMO, a complete waste of time. personally having used it, i wouldn't recommend it and the corals certainly dont like it.

essentially you're trying to treat the symptom not the cause. sort out why you're getting cyano (caused by a combination of too many nutrients, inadequate lighting, poor water flow, etc) then wait til it disappears. all tanks have levels of cyanobacteria, its just whether there is a big enough imbalance that will cause it to grow.

I have not been feeding frozen food for a while and if I do it would be once a week. I have a reasonable amount of fish but nothing I would consider heaps.

Never vacuum sand and not reagular with the water changes!

I have lots of current, reasonable lighting, good skimmer and can't seem to beat it. I have spoken to people who have tried this product and they were very impressed.

try taking the sand out, giving it a good rinse and putting it back, or take it out and replace it. this will be easier said that done but will probably go along way to fixing the problem. and any sand you miss will be easy to stir up in the tank, but be careful if it is very dirty, don't want to disturb any nastiness.

i have heard bad things about red slime remover, although i have never tried it. i know someone who has a bottle, he will defiantly not be using it, i could see if he will give it to you? that is if you are very certain its the only way for your tank.

JDM wrote:

try taking the sand out, giving it a good rinse and putting it back,

This is exactly what I did when I got back on 29 Dec and found a red algae outbreak on my sand. Also reduced my temp a bit to about 26 (had climbed to 29.9 while I was away and the chiller thermostat drifted).

Red cyano all gone now - haven't seen it since I siphoned. Mind you don't siphon your heliofungia though - they don't like it :o Mine died :cry:

10 months is EXACTLY the month that I started getting cyano. I continuously syphoned it for the next 2 months even trying the red slime remover (which removed it short term but it came back). It was only after about a 12 - 14 months when (IMO the population of good bacteria in the LR grew to a level that outcompeted the cyano for food) it went.

Read this:

http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/r ... teria.html

Because of the usually high amount of pigments present in Cyanobacteria (as mentioned in Part 1), and because these pigments assist in the photosynthesis process (both PS I and PS II or Photsystem I and II), light does plays a great role in their growth and bears looking at some more. Indeed, slime algae of various colors can appear when the light source has degraded and when the wavelengths mentioned in Part 1 are suddenly becoming stronger (more intense or appear as a greater proportion of the total amount of lighting provided that penetrates the water.

This is often overlooked. Hobbyists are more likely to look for other reasons to explain the blue-green growths, and forget that old bulbs, fluorescents tubes, and other forms of lighting may need to be replaced to eliminate the spectra that are undesirable in terms of their effect on Cyanobacterial growth in general

The ideal combination for blue-greens to grow is: high DOC (dissolved organic carbon = dissolved organic protein = dissolved organic matter and the decay of that organic matter), high dKH levels and over saturation of CO2. The latter can occur if and when the carbon dioxide is not degassed properly from the water through the overflow leading to the sump, or when the water enters the sump by falling down in it in small streams

There is a new Zeovit product called Coral Snow. It's main purpose is to assist in feeding corals, however they claim that it can also be used to clear cyano.

What you do is mix some zeobacteria with the coral snow, & dump in the tank. Repeat daily until cyano gone.

I quite often have a small cyano patch or two, which does not bother me it is never very much. But just to experiment i tried the coral snow plus zeobac thing, did it once and next day the cyano was gone.

No doubt would take longer with a bigger cyano infestation though.

Not quite sure on the exact mechanism involved, as i have always dosed zeobac anyway. Perhaps the coral snow gets the bacteria right in where it will outcompete the cyano? but I don't really know.

As you already have the zeobacteria, a bottle of coral snow costs $65.00 ( apologies Brendan if I'm wrong! ), not sure how that compares with Red Slime Remover but the Coral Snow way is at least more natural & beneficial to the tank, rather than negative for the tank like the Red Slime Remover.

10 months is EXACTLY the month that I started getting cyano. I continuously syphoned it for the next 2 months even trying the red slime remover (which removed it short term but it came back). It was only after about a 12 - 14 months when (IMO the population of good bacteria in the LR grew to a level that outcompeted the cyano for food) it went.

This is almost exactly what I experienced as well. I just kept siphoning it out during small weekly changes and eventually the balance of good vs. evil turned my way and it has not been back since (touch wood). IMO you have to just siphon it out when it shows up and let the biosystem in the tank do the rest. Don't let it smother any corals and a bit of vodka won't hurt. Don't forget that if a bunch of algae dies all of a sudden, it prodcues a heap of decay products and will feed more algae so siphon it out whenever you can.

What you do is mix some zeobacteria with the coral snow, & dump in the tank. Repeat daily until cyano gone.

Another new coral food from KZ?

I've been working on a new product too; you put it on your feet, click you heels three times, and say "there's no more cyano, there's no more cyano..."

Another new coral food from KZ?

I've been working on a new product too; you put it on your feet, click you heels three times, and say "there's no more cyano, there's no more cyano..."

Well done layton, someone told me you were a waste of air but I'm beginning to wonder.

How can we buy your new product ? Do you take visa ?

Cash only sorry. :D

My point is, you can do what ever theatrics you need to impress the masses in front of the curtain, but like the Great Oz, the man behind the curtain better not be resorting to bleeding out chickens. ;-)

Whether it's Red Slime remover, Zeo this, Zeo that, prodibo, etc the problem is you have an immediate source nutrients (most likely P) in the tank, which once you remove it from the tank, it will eliminate the cyano problem. You do that by removing it, not by dumping something into the tank from a bottle.

you can do what ever theatrics you need to impress the masses in front of the curtain, but like the Great Oz, the man behind the curtain better not be resorting to bleeding out chickens.

Thats your point !!! :o:o:o Huh????

I am beginning to see why some people misunderstand you Layton :D

Well I have tested my levels.

Ca 420

Mg 1350

No3 5

Ph 7.5

Po4 0

Kh 6

Kh and Ph is low how do I lift this?

chimera may have a point with CO2, my reactor is cloudy so I have turned it off. How do I get it running clear again?

CO2 was running at 2 bubbles / sec and the drip rate was 2/sec.

I have done a 200l water change and vacuumed the sand, first time it was ugly. I have white sand under that mess.

you can do what ever theatrics you need to impress the masses in front of the curtain, but like the Great Oz, the man behind the curtain better not be resorting to bleeding out chickens.

Have you, perchance, been taking too many drugs, Layton? :lol: