ITS GETTING HOT IN HERE

jetskisteve

Well on a day like today the poor tank is having trouble keeping cool.

kapiti.jpg

I purchased a fan from bunnings on the weekend, one with the grill that spins around. I also hung the metal halides from chains, to get them higher above the water.

I also installed an extraction fan above the sump to pull the warm air outside.

It has taken the temperature down from mid 28's to approx 26 - 27 degrees.

fan.jpg

I have started logging my tank temperatures, and it is interesting to see that the water takes a long time to cool down, even when the room is cooler.

Http://myreeftank.co.nz:8083/temploggerd/cgi-bin/all.temperature.rrd.cgi?params=-s-1day

Link works best in firefox :)

I have been trying to find a diy link or somesuch to a cooling tower, that uses evaporation to help aid cooling. Deltec make the eco cooler.

just got home, house very hot, tank 27.5 with all fans running (2 large pc fans over tank and big pedistal fan pointing down on sump), about to drop in a bottle of frozen water, hmmmm chiller is now gone from wish list to need list. :-?

Came back from my Xmas break (30 Dec) and tank was at 29.9 and had a superb outbreak of red algae all over my sand. Couldn't figure it out as the chiller was set at 25. Have since figured out the thermostat on my chiller has drifted about 7 degrees so it wasn't kicking in :evil: Need to replace it, but now have the chiller set at 18 and it keeps my tank at about 25.5 together with switching off the MH's for a couple of hours in the early afternoon. Heater has been off since about October. Its warmer up here you know :D

you must live past the bombay's whats a cold spell? 20 deg?

Gezz two warm days and you Aucklanders think you live in the tropic's :lol:

I was up there on Saturday for a wedding, the bride was loving the rain in her open top wedding car, lucky I packed my winter woolies

Gezz two warm days and you Aucklanders think you live in the tropic's :lol:

I was up there on Saturday for a wedding, the bride was loving the rain in her open top wedding car, lucky I packed my winter woolies

and to think you could have come over and taken many frags back for the wellington crew!!!!!