New emersed growth!

evilknieval69

YAY! my marbled sword has finally started sending them up and out of the water!!!! :lol:

I took this pic just before. The closest leaf (the newest one) hit the surface 3 days ago, and since then hasn't stopped going up! The others just stick out of the water a little bit, then go back in again. This plant has a runner with 3 babys on it now, and you can see another runner just poking out of the water!!

EmersedleavesSmall.jpg

8)

Luke, i havent had a cover on this tank since ive had it. Open topped mate 8)

Heres a crap pic (i need more room and a tripod!!) and i need to photoshop it to get rid of the posters on the wall 8)

:oops:

PlantedtankjanuarySmall.jpg

The right hand side im happy with, but once i get two more tubes and the presurised co2 setup im going to rip the whole left hand side out and put a big osiris sword as the feature and re-plant some small stems off the tops of the stem plants to let them grow in properly... Im just holding out ATM. Oh and i need to rip my hairgrass lawn out an re-plant it so it will fill in and grow properly!!

Rogan

Thanks guys, As i was just saying to ant just before, the picture actualy makes the LHS look better than it actually is.... Im not a HUGE fan of stem plants, just a few of them is good, but im a HUGE fan of swords (as you can probably tell (having 5 kinds in the tank, and another kind in a different tank 8) )) so yea....

Looking good Evil, congrats. :)

We had a huge piece in the old Aro tank that grew moss out of the water. At that stage, the lids were still on the tank, so I tried it wifout the lids, and found that the moss stopped growing as it was drying out too fast.

(From the lites and heat of the room, and it was only normal temp room too)

Not sure how well it would work again wif no lids on at all?

We are going to try this again at some stage, wif no lids from the beginning, and see if it will work.

Looks awesome I must say! :D

Very good point, I guess with the heat from the lights it would need a regular watering to keep it moist.

Many aquatic mosses will have minimal growth when emersed, and will likely die off. I would recommend acquiring some of the beautiful NZ native mosses and attaching them to the driftwood above the surface and see if they grow at all. I'm currently doing this with three types of moss on a chunk of driftwood (that comes out of the water in my 460L open topped tank), but the metal halide lights seem too harsh for even that. Indian fern grows quite well, tho :)