Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trial Tank

Featured Replies

Hi all, I am about to setup a two foot tank for africans. before you all tell me that it is not big enough etc, i am going to do this as a starter for 200L tank. im just not sure i want to get rid of my community tank yet so if i do not dedicate it to africans i will sell the fish back to the shop before they get too big.

the tank i have is 24"Lx15"Hx12"D. how many small africans should i put in there? I will use aragonite as a substrate for slate pilled up to create hidding places. I understand that the PH needs to be 7.5+, what temp should it be? Any other info would be appreciated

I use 2ft's as grow out tanks until fish are about 2-3cm's I guess so you should be alright if your wanting fish upto this size, I have some ice blues and red zebs at this size if your interested also..

Regarding temp most of my tanks are 25-27C, and the PH doesn't have to be above 7.5 I dont even measure PH I use all the buffering stuff in most my tanks but as long as the fish are happy and breeding I dont muck around with it too much they will adjust although I believe if you do try and get your water as close to "natural" they will be happier and do better I dont think its proven..

  • Author
Yeah id say you'd be fine.. Just keep an eye out, let me know if you want ice blues or red zebs cuz ive got heaps at a suitable size..

can you post at pic?

  • Author
Yeah id say you'd be fine.. Just keep an eye out, let me know if you want ice blues or red zebs cuz ive got heaps at a suitable size..

can you post at pic? & hows the freighting from Bulls?

Yeah, load it up. You'll fit lots of young in there. Cichlids come from a rediculously over populated place anyway. I have aprox. 60 yellows in a 400mmx400mmx600mm tank and am about to add 10 Arlih and 8 Kadangos. the more fish the less chance of one getting picked on. I also had around 40 that are all aound 100 - 150mm, all sharing a tank 1200x470x470mm. You just need to pick your species, some can be very agressive.

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

Ok, I have my tank totally set up now. it has been running for three weeks now. I used 60L out of my community tank to start the filtration etc. I have made a wall in the tank for hiding places with sand stone tiles & have added marble chip for a substrate. The PH is well over 7.6 (thats as high as my test kit measures). The temp is 26'. What other parameters are important for the africans?

I will also take a sample of my water to the store when i purchase my new fish.

I have aprox. 60 yellows in a 400mmx400mmx600mm tank and am about to add 10 Arlih and 8 Kadangos.

Hmmm, how big are all these fish & how long do you expect them to live in that together for? :-?

Frenchy :D

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.