Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wish list

Featured Replies

Hi all.

Just a matter of interest for all you Killies fans.

What Killies would you like to see in NZ that arent already here? And are on the import list :wink:

Please provide wish list.

PLEASE NO PMS :x

ta mike

Where do we find the import list of allowed species.

It has been very difficult for me to find what species are in NZ and available to purchase.

Can you shed some light on what is here at present and how to obtain them?

Tropheus, what is your interest in these?

Are you an importer?

Most suppliers overseas have a very limited selection to choose from.

The Asian suppliers are worse still, as they have higher ambient temperatures to contend with, which only suits certain species.

To obtain a fish of choice, is to know breeders of the killie fish species that you are after and go from there.

For several years now, I have been trying to locate a importer who will land our (NZKA) fish that we obtain and ship to NZ and have them go thru their quarantine room.

An almost impossible task at a reasonable cost.

We have had a quote of $800 per tank, plus MAF fees, food, labour, and no care responsibility.

Recently a cost of $300, plus plus etc.

We don't expect this for nothing but I know that the fees have to be paid by the importer for their fish and ours would still come under that banner, so that cost could come off to start with.

We would have to pay for the first check of course when they are landed, unless of course the orders were combined at the point from whence they are sent.

Some of the NZKA members have excellent contacts overseas with absolutely fantastic fish, that we'd lve to get hold of.

As far as permitted species, about the only ones we can't get are endangered species and ones considered a threat in our waters, in other words, that will survive in cooler conditions.

Over the years we have had heaps of species in, but as the number of a species increases, the object of keeping them going is left to the next fella, and soon you run out of them and the species disappear.

We did have a system whereby a spedie controller with the members agreeance, would take responsibility of one or two species, and more or less be the bank for that fish.

This system has completely crashed now due to several reasons, one of which is the apathy of the people owning the fish to fill in census forms sent out normally twice a year.

Then when we have sent them in there is no feedback to follow up on what species could be in trouble of disappearing from NZ.

Glenn, the President of the NZKA should have the relevant information that you require re the species, and I'd suggest that you try phoning instead of emailing, I'm not sure, but she may be having problems with her computer.

Aquanut who trades on that big dealing site in NZ has a very good setup for breeding, that I can attest to as I visited him last night. He has almost all the species that are common or slightly hard to get for sale and I'm sure that as a member of the NZKA he'd cut you a good deal.

I hope I've answered your queries, and haven't deviated off the track too much.

There could be a slight glimmer of hope as far as importers are concerned.

One of my suggestions to a local importer was to set up our own tanks, as we don't need their huge import tanks for our fish, but negotiations fell down with them, but I'm talking with others about a similar system.

Just have to wait and see what happens.

Please read NZKA when you see WE and I, as having been a member of the club for many years it is in their interests, and that of the hobby that I persue this goal of importing

I think when they are imported they come in fom Europe or the USA. Because of the limited market here and the fact that they are not normally carried by the regular exporters (so can't just be chucked in with a shipment) there are bound to be high costs. It would be nice to have some of the rarer species but who is prepared to pay?

Alan NZKA56

Hi,

Im prepared to pay what ever it takes,with in reason :lol: , to get some of the species back into nz that have died off. Basically if you can provide a list of killies you can get and MAF approves the import of them, I will write you a cheque. If you need a list I will work with other NZKA members who have the knowledge and decades of experience with these fish.

Cheers

Tim

Hi,

Im prepared to pay what ever it takes,with in reason :lol: , to get some of the species back into nz that have died off. Basically if you can provide a list of killies you can get and MAF approves the import of them, I will write you a cheque. If you need a list I will work with other NZKA members who have the knowledge and decades of experience with these fish.

Cheers

Tim

What a fantastic offer Tim way to go ! big thumbs up ! :bow::bow:

There are many types of killies and many of them were around 30 years ago, but it seems to me that the only ones that survive are the atractive highly coloured ones that are "comercial". Most killies like to hide, don't like strong light and are good at jumping out of tanks and this puts a lot of shops off them. The Nothos are pretty good at getting velvet as well.

Hi,

For a number of us it has become both 'commercial' and a hobby with the goal of preserving what killies we have in NZ and also reintroducing species as well as adding to the list, with MAF's approval of course. (trying not to be too PC!!!!)

The great thing about killies is that 99% of all known species are colourful or patterned in an unusal way. :D

Cheers

Tim

phone 02102333888

I had about 8 varieties 30 years ago and many are no longer here and I can't even remember the names. Some are interesting because of the way they breed etc. There is a limited market because they fade out and hide in strong light and when people stop selling them people stop breeding them. I think that is the reason why many have disapeared. I worked hard to get some of the shops to set up a tank just for killies but you tend to be pushing it up hill. I wish you all the best anyway. I am having some success with the ones I got from you. You need to think comercially if we are going to get them out there and get people keen on having them and breeding them. We do it because we love them but the market mainly wants pretty fish to look at in a community tank.

Well I can tell you right now that our LFS down here has only had killies once. They were clown killies. I asked if they could get any and they told me that its not worth it for them for the fact that they don't live long (guess they didn't research them) but two weeks later they had the clown killies in their tanks.

I am soon to be opening my own shop and I would love to have a tank of killies and an information sheet to go with them and be able to offer those in the far south the chance to have such awesome fish.

I don't know what killies are available (only the few that I have looked for) but I have seen many sites that show such awesome colouration and fins that I have yet to see (via these forums) or hear about.

Cheers.

Alan the LFS had them months ago (easily 6+ and 80% of them showed some form of spinal deformaty (sp) that I wouldn't suggest anyone buying) I did post in here that that was all they had and that was all they have ever had in for as long as I have been keeping fish. I have access to some of the fish that are imported but it only ever seems to be the same type over and over again.

Will have to see what the next fish list brings in but once the shop opens I am more than happy to buy off others (depending on the price tag) and do my best to introduce people down here to killies as well as type up and print out an information sheet for those interested or wanting to buy.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.