Pond Questions

Fishkeepa

Whats the deal with ponds

I went to clean my aunts pond out for her today. it is a good 200 - 300L pond. I started by emptying the pond. I found the water at the bottom so dirty that it was almost black. Unfourtunately the birds had discovered that the fish made tasty treats and there were only two fish left both 8 - 10cm and black. One fantail and one normal. There were also a load of pond snails which had algae growing on their shells and looked like japanese moss balls. :P

I scrubbed the sides until no algae was to be seen and then rinsed it out again. I then filled it. The Fish were in a bucket (she insisted that they could handle) They were gapping at the surface so i tried to cool them down by floating the bucke in the pond. We then sorted out the plants. The Oxygen weed, chinese ivy (Cardamine) i think :-? and the Lillies. We potted them and set them up. The pump was broken and this ussually runs a sponge filter. She didnt want ot put a net over it to stop the birds.

The problem is this. In a few weeks time it will probably be starting to go back to the way it was. So how do people keep the pond with a limited amount of algae? Do you do water changes every few weeks to clean out the detrius so it doesnt have a chance to break down break down or do you use algae killing products.

Please share the light :wink:

Keep the pond shaded and have lots of plants to cover 3/4 of the water surface. 200 - 300L isn't very big for a pond. Don't add any more fish.

Get the filter running again. Regularly run the hose in it so it overflows and replaces some of the water.

Thanks Caryl

I will tell her that. It probably gets a lot morning to midday sun.

How often should we chuck the hose in and does the water need dechlorification. At one stage the lillies were covering over half of the pond. I will try to see when we can get the pump fixed

If her pond is raised above ground level she may be able to use a hose or something to siphon out some muck from he bottom from time to time. My home pond is a large half barrel sitting on some bricks so I have some clear plastic hose that is very useful in getting out some of the algae and muck that accumulates in the bottom. I use a clear hose cause sometimes 'junk' or stones get dragged up and you can see where the problem is and try to dislodge it!! :-?

I guess it's also important that she prevent as much stuff from decomposing in the bottom as she can. Taking out dead bit of plants or leaves before they settle on the bottom is a good start (either by hand or with a net).

I think it's near impossible to have a pond without algae and some 'muck' but the same rules apply to tanks I guess, don't overfeed and try to maximize plant growth to minimize what's left for the algae.

Keeping the water clean

An old trick that they use on larger ponds and dams.. and such.. is to throw a bale of hay into the pond.

Over time this becomes a mini type biological filter that attracts algae and microbes like a magnet.

One place in the mid North that I used to visit had several ponds and waterfalls running in the display area of his tree nursery business.

He knew I was into fish.. and was pretty proud of his ponds.. until he saw the expression on my face when I "tried" to peer through the green soup to see his fish.

"Err... Shouldn't it be like that Bill..?" he asked.

"I thought the fish would be quite happy in those conditions, cos there are nearly "always" on the surface peering at me".. he said.. (gasping more like)

Anyway.. to cut the story short.. we aquired a bale of fresh hay... dumped it near one of the areas of most water flow so that it acted like a filter... and a week or so down the track you could have drank that water as it was so crystal clear.

The bale (which should remain tightly bound)... should be removed carefully after say three or four months.. and a new one put in its place.

Bill (Pegasus)...

1st Post in CW Section :)

THanks guys

The pond proabably cannot fit a bail of hay way too small. probably 120*40*50 LWH. Unfourtunately the pond is sunk into the ground. Cant really start a siphon :-? We will try to get the plants growing a gain and the pump running.

Another thing usually the pump runs the sponge filter but the pump is only ussually on for decoration. Does this need the run 24/7?

Was the water clear? I 'thought' my water was clear until I put in a plant called 'myriophyllum propinquum' which is a native milfoil or like the stuff I think they call parrot's feather. About a week later I was looking into the pond and realised I could see absolutely everything down to little stones sitting on the very bottom!

When I was next at the shop where the plant had come from (The WaterGarden in chch) I re-read the 'blurb' and it said it was excellent for clearing up the water! Maybe if she doesn't have any oxygenators she should buy a couple to put down in the bottom.

I think junk in the bottom is unavoidable and ponds probably need a good clear every other year or so.

I have a bigger pond at a rental place and I had it profesionally serviced once before I knew anything about it. He put handfuls of barley straw in each plant pot. It's best kept near the surface so it can get some oxygen. Something about the decompsition of it that releases something which inhibits algae growth apparently. You can also buy barley straw extract in a liquid form but I've never used it myself. It works gradually according to the label so isn't like an algaecide but if her pond is clean now it might help it stay away.

made by Interpet comes in a 250ml bottle, cost around $25-$30. if u use the recommended doesage it treats up to 4,546L but i use much much less and only does around 100ml every couple of months or so but i do have a good filter and UV-C system goin at the same time.

IMO works just as well but doesn't last as long. down side of the bale is it takes 2 weeks before decomposing starts but after that i find it works for around 6 months.

They're still selling it in chch!! All over the place actually.

I can see how it can be weedy. every tiny piece that breaks off will grow roots if given a chance. Although I woulldn't say it grows extremely fast or anything like that.

I still have the label and I'm quite new to this aquatic stuff. Trust me, 'propinquum' is not the kind of word I would have ever dreamed up :-?

Maybe I'll try putting a strand in a glass jar and taking a photo to post here.

Caryl, I don't want to name the supplier but it came from the same place as your pond plants did and had the blue plastic plant labels wedged into the pots.

No thanks :) Definitely don't need any more and have seen it root so won't have any trouble increasing my supply for personal use if need be :)

I would recommend it to others if they can still get some and think their water isn't 100% clear. Cleared mine up really quickly (wasn't expecting it too.. just threw it in cause it was an eyesore at the other pond due to being placed at an inappropriate depth (like 5cm below water level - it needed to be deep or have crown out to take on emmersed form, not in between. I didn't know that at the time and I actually thought it was half dead!!)

Come to think of it the fish spend less time at the surface during the day. Perhaps the bottom part of the pond is now better oxygenated? I have oxygenators but they're closer to the surface being that the barrel pond is on the south side of my house and gets very little sun. Didn't actually think the myriophyllum propinquum (love saying that) would survive at the bottom (45cm) but it's thrived so far and has grown to reach the top of the water!!!

GO natives! :P

Not going to the molly hunt unfortunately but I'd be happy to post you some closer to the end of summer.

As I said it was almost dead when I brought it back to my place so it now has 3 very long strands on it and a few embarassingly little broken off bits with roots. It also has blanketweed on it which might put you off!!! I'll remember you later in the season though and send you a pm when I've gotten some more good growth and you can let me know then if you still want some.

I'm Jen by the way. JN are my initials :P