Sweetysmum's Clown Loach

antwan

Whoa that is so cool... please can she take another pic with a reference point in it.. e.g a neon tetra!! It looks massive. I don't think the photo is stretched as they grow out in every direction, but I really like it how they get 'tall' as well (from belly to dorsal fin). When they get this big they can munch on whole shrimp pellets. They get good at stealing them away very quickly. They grow so slowly; I have 16 and have had 3 of them for about 4 years and they're not as big as a couple of others I acquired so I wonder how old they are. That's an indication of great fish keeping when a fish can live that long and still be alive and well.

Whoa that is so cool... please can she take another pic with a reference point in it.. e.g a neon tetra!! When they get this big they can munch on whole shrimp pellets.

Hmmm, neon tertra reference point may have disappeared into the gob of this monster maybe. A neon could resemble a shrimp pellet

Lol, i think a clown is more the 'skulk around 'til no one's watching, then grab and dash' kind of pie eater, as opposed to one of my bettas - i was leaning over the tank a few days ago, watching them feed and sucking on a candy cane, when she decided she liked the look of my snack better (managed to catch her, i swear she has sky-diving aspirations).

I have 5 young clowns, and though i love how big they can get (at Dubai airport I saw some well over 30cms) I hope mine take their time, otherwise it'll be re-home or EVEN BIGGER tank, which i'm not sure my "partner" (self-titled boss) would agree to.

But yes, big kudos to anyone who has the level of commitment and enough TLC to get such a big (don't dare say fat - it might mistake ME for a shrimp pellet) beautiful specimen.

I wonder if i still have my current fish in 20 years, what the level of attachment to the individual fish would be? Thats the same lifespan as a cat or small dog....

Would take a big fish to steal MY bloody pies.. :lol:

I think that clown could put up a good fight though, if it could get itself off the gravel for long enough to battle with me.. :lol: :lol:

FYI - I went back to Texas last year for one month, to visit family, and first thing I ate when I got back to NZ was a pie. :P

Technical question, at that size, how big a tank would you need for 6 clown loaches? :wink: What kind of litreage!

So you like the good old kiwi pie aye :lol:

There are or were huge Clown Loaches at the Napier Aquarium... when I last looked.. They get rather big, and not only length wise, they get big all round. You would need a huge tank for 6 BIG clown loaches, I'm looking at my 8fter now, and with the ones I saw at the Aquarium, there is no way I would feel comfy ever housing 6 that size in our 8ft size tank...

lol its a pity your's and farmchicks sisters clowns cant be united they have one thats huge as well its really impressive they just pretty much built an 8ft tank just for the loach :)

Yeh, my sisters one is pretty impressive too. Way more active now he/she (?) is in the big tank. At a guess, its probably about 25-30cm and rather round :lol: I think she has had him for about a year now and he was 10+ years when she got him. His little buddy is about 12-15cm.

Hi, Sweety was thrilled to hear she has become a celebrity. I would say from one tip to the other she is about a foot long. I have had her for over 20 years and she is blind in one eye. She has real personality and is a people fish. She can be very active and play with her stones, but she also enjoys laying down and sleeping alot too. I love her to pieces. I can't wait to see her settled in her new home.

• 9 months later...