Conference 2004 options so far

Caryl

The following is a report on findings so far for the 2004 conference. As you can see, John has done a lot of work so far on our behalf. The idea of a conference off-shore first arose as a direct result of no club being willing to put themselves forward as host in 2004. It was pointed out that internal travel is expensive anyway so going off-shore would not make that much difference as overseas flights are a lot cheaper.

Conference 2004 update

Gael and I are off to Australia, and I will check out Brisbane and the Gold Coast and compare notes with Rowan Lee, when we get back on the 18th September. (Rowan and Trea have been on the Gold Coast recently exploring the possibilities.) Gael and I are also off to investigate Vanuatu as a possible venue, on October 15th and will return on 22nd.

Having said that.... Gael and I have recently visited

England. Not cheap and too far to go for a conference unless someone else is paying, and you can afford to lose two days out of your life flying. No great fishy theme either.

Paris. Same. They speak French, eat tough bread rolls with a bit of soapy cheese inside, can't cook to save themselves have bad wine, and are arrogant, (they think they run the world) and it is very, (did I say very????) expensive. Most fish is imported.

Spain. Great place to go, but too far to go and the famous Paella is like rice risotto.

Sri Lanka Great place to go, but too far not as many tropical fish as you might imagine.

Thailand Great place to go, but a little awkward to do the organising for a group the way I want to do it

Hong Kong not cheap anymore, costs a lot of money, just to get from the new airport to the expensive city hotels.

Western Samoa. Forget it!!!! People get sick and it ruins a holiday and a conference. I have been sick every time I have been there from the food, and I have been there a lot.

Tahiti. Forget it!!! Prices are out of this world, it's grubby, and they speak French, nuff said trust me.

NOW!!!!! I have a very positive conference plan organised, I just need an acceptable venue and am obviously still checking them out. It is an easy formula that I use and I am very used to arranging on my own.... a venue and a fabulous function for up to 250 people. I have just had 30 people to Fiji very successfully. So successfully the buggers didn't want to come home and start work again. So the FNZAS conference will be a breeze, although the formula will be a little different as far as a weekend is concerned I am looking more at a week's worth. I believe that people will want to get the best value they can, and if they are to shell out for a return airfare... they might as well stay a week and make a holiday out of it, and will have to shell out a few more bucks for accommodation. I am mindful of the comment made by New Plymouth at conference, that it is elitist to go off shore, and am doing my best to see what can be done to relieve that argument. Do elitists have passports??? I am mindful that if the conference was held in Auckland, it would cost the travellers some money to attend, so have looked at air fare costs from and to Christchurch plus accommodation as a base or starting price for reasonable calculations. I am mindful of the fact that Scottie has been to every conference in living memory, and I will make sure that if he is in good health, he will get there and have a good time, same goes for Eddie. These guys are legendary and loyal conference attendees. Paul Munckhof is the most handicapped member of the FNZAS I know, so am basing requirements for travellers around his possible requirements being the biggest ask.

Paul has been to Argentina, Portugal, and Australia to represent New Zealand in his chosen sport, so I am aware of his needs if he decides to come. My father travelled to Rarotonga with us when he was 88, so Scottie should not be as big a deal as one might imagine. I am mindful that there are some that will not be able to afford it, so am doing my level best to keep them in mind as well. As a consideration....It may be better for everyone to arrange their own way there and back so they don't feel ripped off by the tour leader, (as if I would, I don't need the money, trust me on that point) and that will be a definite possibility on the pricing agenda. A point I will consider seriously; is to say that the venue for conference will be at ????????? and feel free to make your own way there as we usually do, if it looks a better deal for everyone, given the "specials" that are often advertised (with strings attached). Those that want to organise their own way there will be more than welcome to do so, but trust me the conference will be off shore. For these reasons....

We have for many years held conferences all over New Zealand and those that want to come, come. Those that don't want to come, don't. Even though the host club always goes out of its way to do the best they can to make sure every detail is perfect, some folk just don't come. To some it's a big deal, to me on this one it is a consideration to get as many people to attend but if they don't and I have their deposit, it will be non refundable, passport or not. Having been to all the conferences since 1972 (I think). I have yet to attend a bad one, but that in itself does not seem to attract every club, or in fact all the same people every year. Every year we get new comers, and some that really enjoyed themselves at Marlborough and said they would, will not come again.... not because they didn't have a good time. Or indeed will not be able to attend because of lack of money, or any other reason you might like to think about, or put forward on their behalf... but because THAT’S THE WAY IT IS, sh*t happens. So because I have been given a mandate to organise the next year's conference and have put in a great deal of work so far.... it will be an off shore conference, and those that come, will have a fabulous time, so help me God. (I'm a fun loving bloke and love to see people enjoying themselves) Those that choose not to come, will miss out on one of the finer experiences in their lives, just as those that missed the last few conferences for one reason or another, do not know, and will never know first hand, the great times we have all shared because the conference organisers did a fabulous job of making our conferences really enjoyable and worthwhile. Not everyone is as well off as me, I know that, so I am honestly considering all others even those in places far away from JAFFA land.

Now for the reports here are my findings so far...

A possible trip to Fiji for the FNZAS conference

I have just returned from Plantation Island where I took 30 staff , partners, spouses, family and friends in August 2003, for a one week holiday as a "dry run" to check it out.

Getting to Fiji from Auckland is easy, the flight is just on 3 hours and that goes very quickly if you watch the in flight movie, have a feed, and order a drink or two.

Mind you, including breakfast each morning, it cost $1,678.00 per person share twin and $1,560.00 per person share three for the airfares, transfers and Sunday to Sunday holiday, and costs are not known exactly because nobody will commit to pricing as yet for a June 2004 conference.

We arrived in the afternoon and stayed overnight at the Raffles Gateway Hotel just across the road from Nadi (pronounced Nandi) airport. Quite a nice hotel.

Everyone wanted to go to Nadi the following morning to do the shops over. Before the trip to the island. I forgot to warn everyone about the stick carving rip off guys that walk the streets, and some got ripped off for $20 a stick, but laughed about it later. I think everyone bought a Bula shirt.

Bula is the local greeting and is the word for hello. Bula is an easy word to remember because everyone says it to you with a big smile as soon as they see you.

In the afternoon, we all travelled by fast cat to the Plantation Island resort on Malolo Lai Lai Island which is about 15 kilometres or 40 minutes off the coast of the main island.

Check in was very easy and we were met and greeted in a very relaxed and friendly way, and shown to our Bures (accommodation).

The accommodation bures feature private showers and toilets, overhead fans, IDD phones, tea and coffee making facilities, and a bar fridge. The beds were firm but comfortable.

There is plenty to do on the island, and not one of the 30 people in our party had a bad day or a bad meal all week, and there were a few fussy eaters.

The meals are about the same cost as a restaurant in any New Zealand town.

Beer is from F$3.00 per stubby, and the exchange rate is in New Zealand’s favour so a dollar Fiji is less than a dollar New Zealand, or one New Zealand dollar is about F$1.07.

There are a couple of wee supermarkets or mini markets on the island and anything from Coca Cola, cooked chickens and fishing gear, to flour, bread and even an anchor for a yacht can be purchased at reasonable prices. Bearing in mind that everything has to be imported, we found that prices were not "over the top" at any of the shops. In fact not even one grizzle from any of the group.

Free sun and relaxation, swimming pools, tennis, windsurfing, hand line fishing each day, hobiecat sailing and kayaking. Free snorkelling trips or indeed you can snorkel straight off the beach and see lots of brightly coloured tropical fish including Moorish Idols. There is always something going on, even crab or frog races at night if you want to have a bet.

There are semi submersible trips, for those that don’t want to get wet when seeing the fish.

Deep sea fishing, para sailing, surfing, Scuba diving, golf with electric golf carts if desired, mini golf, banana boat rides, dolphin watching, table tennis, pool tables, volley ball, and trips to other resort islands are also available at reasonable cost.

Once again budget on $100.00 per day spending money for meals and the pay activities and you will have a fabulous time, most of our group had money left over, except the two guys that never left the bar areas.

You can get by on a lot less than the budget, if you feed yourselves (as we do at home), by shopping at the mini markets on the island. What's wrong with home made sandwiches for lunch? Or even cereals in your room for breakfast?

Although there are no cooking facilities in the bures, one day we bought our BBQ supplies meats and salads and went to the island three dollar bar at the other end of the island just past Musket Cove resort.

All drinks cost F$3.00 each and the plates, sauces & condiments, cutlery and BBQ facilities are free and with a smile.

Evening activities usually started with happy hour around 4-30pm which for us also started with sampling each other’s duty free outside a bure somewhere.

This is not frowned on by the management.

We dined at any of the 3 restaurants and usually chose one to invade for the evening. Nobody got sick from the food.

Naturally John grabbed a guitar and joined in with the local band and the music and dancing fair shook the island. On the few nights when John didn’t perform, it was back to the quiet Fijian Island music, which was very pleasant.

The verdict from the 30 travellers all of whom wanted to stay forever…….

A fabulous place to go for a holiday or conference, when can we go again?

And now................................

A possible trip to Rarotonga for the FNZAS conference

Hotels:- There are a number of them on the island, the best part of the lagoon is around the Moana Sands Hotel area this is also recognised as the better side of the island. Most of the hotels are very friendly and clean. We liked the family atmosphere at Moana Sands. Next door is Little Polynesia and no ankle biters are allowed, we have stayed there too, it is very private and has fully self contained units, it would be one of the best places to stay in the heat of the summer because there is a lot of shade.

The Rarotongan is OK for large groups and kids but never again for us, Crown Beach is quite romantic and has the Windjammer, a fabulous restaurant food wise, in front of it.

Rarotongan Sunset is where Gael and I might stay next time we go on our own, because we can swap our time share in Fiji for it. We inspected the rooms and found them to be very nice with extremely friendly staff, the only drawback is that when the tide is out it is not such a good outlook across the reef, but the sunsets will be spectacular, (similar to Crown Beach).

The Edgewater is a huge complex, and we have heard from lots of people that stayed there, quite mixed reports. Some loved it, some hated it. The Pacific Resort looked nice, but an expensive looking nice, and was situated on the better side of the island.

The island is very clean, and the people are very friendly, and laid back.

There are no rip offs that we found, except at the bar in the Rarotongan hotel.

Lion Ice cans of beer at the Bond (where their local brewery is) was charging $25 for 2 dozen compared with $32.95 at Super Liquor here in New Zealand.

Restaurants:- It was hard to find one that served bad food. The loudest one was Trader Jacks, and they overcooked Gael’s fish, the rest of the places we visited were fairly quiet.

The restaurant meals were the equal of anything here in New Zealand. Mains vary from $17.00 to $28.00

We have been to The Flame tree, Tumunu, Hop Sings, Windjammer, Vaima (where we had our company birthday dinner, which was very well received by all hands), it is now under new owners that are quite good according to our accountant. We also went to The Kaena, Albertos Steak House, and to the Rarotongan Hotel Island night on Saturday night and found all had excellent food. The service in most places is a bit slow but if you know that, it is well worth the wait. We were told by some of the locals that the food at Sails was good, but the service was extremely slow, so we didn't get to try it.

For lunch we visited The Sandwave by the airport. The Café in town, and a little tropical garden restaurant opposite Little Polynesia, which after a small wait served the most magnificent salads and smoothies, better than the equal of anything we have ever had in New Zealand. Ronnies in town didn't have anything going for it quality wise but the service couldn't have been friendlier.

Papa Joes makes the most fabulous sandwiches any day for you to take on a picnic, the wine selection at the Bond store in town is second to none, Papa Joes also makes the most fabulous bacon and egg pie on Sundays, but you should order it, because it gets sold out quickly, and it is the only shop open on Sunday.

In other islands I have visited, it is hard to escape the two step, (two into the toilet and two out again), but nobody that we have talked to, has ever been sick on Rarotonga, from the food. A few of the lads couldn't handle their rum one or two nights, but otherwise in my opinion, the food is very safe.

Dress code:- Casual, but if going in winter, it can be quite cool in the evenings, some of our mob had to buy $10 sweat shirts.

Drivers Licence:- Obtainable from the Police station in Avarua (town) for $10.00 just show them your New Zealand one and they will take your picture and give you one of theirs. A good little fund raiser for the island economy. If you hire a car explore the back roads they are even nicer than the main road around the island. Don't drive too fast because you might miss seeing something, and you will get the idea why most people there are not in too much of a hurry. They smile a lot, and are quite intelligent.

Buses:- go around the island all day. One leaves Cooks Corner in town every half hour. One goes clockwise on the hour and the other does the 31 Km, anti clockwise on the half hour. Get on costs $1.70 get off anywhere you like, just ask the driver to stop.

Travel around the island all day for $1.70 if you want to waste time.

There are loads of activities on the island, from deep sea fishing, cross island walks, the 4WD safari, (which we really enjoyed) for the magnificent views and safe and happy driver.

Captain Tama’s glass bottom boat and snorkelling cruise complete with island entertainment. (Snorkelling was optional).

Piri Puruto III coconut tree climbing, umu make it yourself style, and his, rub 2 sticks together and make the fire the way the ancestors did, show. The whole group enjoyed his show, which is on Sundays.

Church singing in 5 part harmony is good to experience, if you are into going inside one. If not, sit outside and just listen on any Sunday, the island almost closes on Sundays.

Visit Beachcomber in town (3 streets, if you get lost you will be the first) for black pearls and other expensive stuff that girls like.

The cultural village and circle island tour is well worthwhile.

If you hire a scooter be careful of the exhaust pipe on your legs, you could end up with a "Rarotongan tattoo". Be careful of the dogs too. They used to eat them, before the do gooders stopped the Sunday roast dog dinner ritual.

A side trip to the island of Aitutaki is a pleasant experience for the day, if you have time. It is not cheap, what is these days? but it is worthwhile. Take your swimming gear and feed the fish in the most fabulous lagoon you will probably ever see. There are no dogs on this island, and no sharks in the lagoon. The bus is even airconditioned (no windows).

There are 3 main supermarkets on Rarotonga, we found Foodland in town to be the one that suited us best, and on the other side of the island try Wigmores Super Store. They have 4 shelves full of stuff, and a few fresh veges and drinks etc. If you buy wine make sure you have a corkscrew available.

Conclusion:-

Prices will have to be checked out at the beginning of the new year, Rarotonga is a very nice place to go, but as a conference venue, I would say that Plantation Island is the best venue for a large group at this stage.

DOES IT LOOK AS THOUGH I AM ON THE BALL??????

UPDATE 27.11.03Here are the costings for Fiji June 2004.

NZ AQUATIC SOCIETY GROUP

Have based it on Departure Tuesday 01 June with Air New Zealand. This will allow transfer out to the island on the day of arrival. On the return you can transfer back to Nadi on the 7th June, overnight Raffles Gateway and then fly out at lunchtime the next day.

Itinerary would read as follows -

Tuesday 01 June 2004

Depart 8.00 am from Auckland Airport aboard Air New Zealand arriving Nadi at 11.05 am.

On arrival at Nadi Airport and after clearing Immigration and Customs, you will be met by a representative from Leeward Island Services who will transfer you to Denerau Marina (15 minutes drive from the airport). From here the launch departs at 2.00 pm to take you directly to Plantation Island.

Accommodation at Plantation Island Resort. Costings below are based on 1. Garden View Hotel Rooms - twin basis (i.e. 2 people per room)

or 2. Studio Garden Bure's or Beachfront Hotel Rooms - twin basis.

Monday 07 June

Today you will transfer back to the mainland. Launches depart the island at 9.00 am, 12.30 pm and 3.30 pm.

Would suggest the 12.30 pm as this would allow the group to get access to their hotel rooms and then take off shopping in the afternoon.

The group will be met at Denerau Marina and transferred to

Raffles Gateway Hotel - deluxe twin rooms for your overnight stay.

Tuesday 08 June

Check-in time at the airport will be around 10.00 am.

You will be transferred from the hotel to Nadi Airport by coach.

Depart Nadi Airport at 12.10 pm aboard Air New Zealand arriving Auckland at 3.15 pm.

Quote 1 - based on Gardenview hotel rooms on the

island. COST PER PERSON - $1599.00

Quote 2 - based on Studio Garden Bure or Beachfront

Hotel rooms on the island.

COST PER PERSON - $1819.00

GROUP QUOTE INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING -

- Return economy class flights Auckland/Nadi/Auckland

with Air New Zealand based on high season fare.

- Fiji Departure tax and ticket taxes

- Auckland Departure Tax

- Return coach and launch transfers to Plantation Island

with Leeward Island Services.

- 6 Nights accommodation at Plantation Island as stated

below with buffet breakfast daily

- 1 night accommodation at Raffles Gateway hotel based

on deluxe rooms - room only

-

Costs based on special: stay 6 nights at Plantation get 1 night free plus 1 night free at Raffles Gateway.

General Quote Conditions:

· Quote valid for 14 days from today’s date

· Quote is subject to availability of air and land arrangements specified

· Costs have been based on a minimum of 30 passengers travelling, should the numbers drop below this, the quote may have to be re costed

· Quote is subject to currency fluctuations, general and airfare increases

· All costs subject to change without notice until paid in full

· Airlines/Agents require a deposit of NZD$200.00 per person on confirmation of flights. Deposit is non-refundable within 60 days of departure date.

· Costs are based on departure of 01 June 2004 travel,

and will need to be reviewed should this change.

That last post was the information I have so far. Work is still being done on options so you can be presented with a range of options. At all times, costs have been the over-riding factor as we want to keep these as low as possible. By the same token, we also need somewhere with plenty of fishy things to do with venues you don't have to spend ages travelling to get to.

To all those that have been running around and thinking of the general riff-raff, I would like to say thankyou very much for your efforts.

Especially you John.

Will we be getting a quote on the Goldcoast, Australia, altenative?

Once again thanks.

Alan

We are working on that bit Alan. The fares there are certainly cheaper and they offer good family rates. The problem is more how to get around in a group once we are there. There is a lot of travelling from place to place as points of interest are spread out.

In the islands, you just wander down the beach :D

the gold coast is one of the easist places to get around,the only problem is in any holiday time it is very busy.hiring a bus is not a problem,from small mini buses to a coach.drive your self or hire a driver as well.last time we were there was one of my boys rugby trip,we hired 4xmini buses very good because you can split up and do different things.places of interest/sea world, one of the best fishey places i have ever seen(except the great barrier reef)movie world,dreamworld,wet &wild are all realy good places for the kid in everyone.the coast is by area is 40%water so most things involve fish to some extent,from watching,buying,playing,swiming,catching and so fresh on your plate.

off season is so mutch cheaper,and the weather is allways good.

thanks

mark

Thanks for that information Mark. Personally, I would rather go elsewhere as the Gold Coast doesn't interest me - too many people. Neither does any of the places you mentioned but I am sure I am in the minority there :D

Majority rules.

I've been to the Gold Coast several times now. While it’s a great place to visit for a holiday, its a lot less suitable as a venue for a group. It is possible to stay at large hotels with the facilities to host conference but the dollars go up a lot.

We are also fishkeepers. I wouldn't mind going somewhere that fish can be seen. There are virtually no fish at surfers (except in the Aquarium Shops). Fiji has an excellent aquarium just out the door of your room and you can visit it any time for free...

I hope people think about the whole picture when making a decision on where to go. Sure, cost is a factor, but think about the total cost, not just the airfare...

PS: Awesome work John, what an effort has gone into your research and your typing...

PPS: I think John currently holds the biggest post record (posted by Caryl on John’s behalf).

Well it seems that everyone is having their say about Conference next year. It is a shame that there isn't that many people offering to go on the Exec, now that would solve a few problems next year. Graham and I have just returned from Ausie and as much as I would like to go back, Fiji sounds great. Graham and I have been to Fiji and Plantation Island and I know that whoever decides to go will have a great time. Keep up the good work John. If no one else else turns up on the day Graham and I will be there to keep you company.

Jo

Great Job so far John, Just one comment from the Hawkes Bay Club, The majority of our members looking at attending would prefer Vanuatu over Fiji, with the Gold Coast running a very distant 3rd place. Are there any prices/comments on Villa as an option?

/Bruce

Why would they prefer Vanuatu? Has it got something Fiji hasn't? I am only asking out of curiosity. Never having been out of NZ I can't compare them myself. I just wondered if there was something extra specal to see in Vanuatu?

I understand he did the costings for Fiji as he was aware cost was an over-riding factor for many and Fiji had lots to do at a cheaper price than Vanuatu.

There are a couple of reasons why the majority would like to go to Vanuatu

1:Quite a few people have been to Fiji and not Vanuatu

2:Personal Preference

I personally dont agree that there is more to do in Fiji :-)

Cheaper... well I tend to disagree on that one see rates below

Those rates are for individuals/couples, group rates would be far more attractive than those quoted below

Fiji

Plantation Island Resort

Garden Hotel Room - $1469 (twin), $599 (child u12)

GO BONUS:

Includes a F$300 food and beverage credit per room and children under 12 years (maximum 2) eat FREE at Plantation Island Resort.

Costs based on 5 nights Plantation Island Resort and 2 nights Tokatoka Resort Hotel (one night either side). Closeout applies 26–31 Dec 03.

Vanuatu

Le Meridien Port Vila

Standard Room - $1199pp twin

GO BONUS:

For ONLY $139 per person upgrade to a lagoonview room.

OPTIONAL MEAL PLAN:

ONLY $199 per person includes 5 continental breakfasts and 3 themed buffet or set menu dinners.

** Closeout applies 29 Dec 03-05 Jan 04. **

Folks,

Looks like plans are well underway. I keen to hear what the final

outcome will be.

Just to be different, I'd much rather go to Australia (anywhere) than

any of the islands. It's cheaper and there are more things to do that

*I'm* interested in, this does not (of course) apply to other people.

Andrew.

Vanuatu vs Fiji

OK, I would prefer Fiji over Vanuatu but that's only because I went to Vanuatu last month :o)

To give you an idea, Mark and I paid $1733 ex Auckland for 10 nights in Vanuatu, that included all taxes, travel insurance and airport/hotel transfers. We then spent AT LEAST $3000 while we were there on food and entertainment. Admittedly we did a lot of scuba-diving which was probably about $1200 of that. An average main course in Vanuatu is between $20-$30 NZD which doesn't sound too bad, but when you are eating out for lunch AND dinner every day it adds up pretty quickly. To go for a day trip out on a boat was about $110 per person. There are definately ways to save yourself some money, going to the supermarket and buying your own food (which was also quite expensive), but then who wants to worry about that while you are supposed to be relaxing on holiday! We ended up just doing whatever we wanted, and decided to worry about the money when we got home!

As for stuff to do there, we personally didn't think there was terribly much! We are really into our scuba-diving so did that every day, plus heaps of snorkelling, but if we hadn't been in the water I think we would have been scratching for things to keep ourselves entertained.

Another thing to consider is there are very few snorkelling beaches in Vanuatu, none in Port Vila at all I don't think (although I'm not sure if there is good snorkelling in Erakor Lagoon where Le Meridien is). The best snorkelling was on Hideaway Island where we stayed which was just excellent! Probably much like Plantation Island in Fiji (except much much smaller). It is excellent to be able to walk out of your room onto the beach and into the water. Le Meridien is about 3km out of Port Vila so you need to catch buses etc, which are really cheap ($3 each way). But it would be kind of nice to be able to walk everywhere.

There is definately more to consider than just the cost of the airfare. Admittedly Vanuatu looks cheaper at the moment but the cost of actually BEING there is probably more. I have never been to Fiji so I'm really not sure of the prices of food etc, but I have heard from numerous sources that it is cheaper than Vanuatu.

Also, I talked to my travel agent on Friday and she said to wait a couple of months. At the moment the cost of the airfare alone to Fiji is $1200, she said wait till Jan/Feb and the airfare will come down to about $899 and you can save about $300-$400!

John has done a great job investigating all the venue options, we caught up with him in Vanuatu and he was taking his quest very seriously. Wherever we end up holding conference I will definately be going! :D

PS

Mark just told me to add: we would both be happy to go back to Vanuatu, we really loved our holiday there.

We are lucky enough to be able to afford it though, whereas some people might not.

Ultimately, we both like John and trust his judgement :D

Vanautu was great. Jane and I had a great holiday, and would not hesitate to go back. We caught up with John Eastwood while there for a few drinks and a yap.

My personal preferece aside, John Eastwood thinks that for various reasons fiji is better. I agree with Johns reasoning, and trust Johns judgement.

Cost. There is no doubt at all that Vanautu will cost at least twice as much as Fiji from what we have seen and heard. Cost is not the only factor to consider, but I can assure you that Vanautu is expensive.

Activity. To reiterate a point already made, there is very little to do in Vanautu. Diving, snorkeling & thats it. Town (port vila is the only centre on the mainland) is very small and long. We were there for 10 days, the only 2 things that I would like to have seen or done that we didn't do were go to Santo to dive on the President coolidge, and go to and look at the lava pools and active volcano. Both of these locations require a flight, and incur extra cost. Keep that in mind about Vanautu, snorkel, swim, dive, eat & drink - nothing else. This is excellent from my perspective, but may not be everyones cup of tea. Want to go to the movies? Nope. Shopping spree? Nope. Site seeing? Nope.

Also the place Bruce mentioned, as Jane said is quite a way out of town, and up around a hill. Having to rely on a taxi or bus (i use these terms loosley, as you may have to stand on the back of a ute as that is what public transport is) can really put a dampner on things. I don't think that some of the older, or less adventurous members would enjoy this. Taxi everywhere is an option, just adds even more to the cost. If I had to stay in Vanautu it would be in Port Vilia (not 3 mins away by 'public transport') centre or Hideaway island.

Also if Vanautu is the final destination, I will be in Santo diving anyway, there is nothing in Port Vila that I would be interested in seeing or doing again.

Just my 2 cents. Whatever John Eastwood is thinks best gets my support 100%. Its going to be impossilbe to please everyone anyway, so from my perspective I don't and won't cause any disruption, and will do whatever the exec think is best for the majority of its members.

Regards

Mark Ellis

www.homereef.co.nz