how to catch bristlenoses?

lorrainel

does anyone know how to catch bristlenoses? i've got 3 in my tank and want to shift them out to other tanks because my blue rams look ready to lay again. last time they laid i caught one of my bristlenoses eating the eggs!!! unbelieveable!! :o:o i thought they were vegetarians!!! :evil: :evil:

yea, they're buggers like that. Do you have a piece of wood in the tank? I used to just pick the piece of wood up and they'd stay inside it. If not, you could try catching early in the morning before the lights come on, or as soon as they do (works with fish, might do with bns). Other than that I can only think of stripping the tank...

Nope a fishing Rod...

Actually we wait till the the bristles are in their pieces of driftwood, and lift them out of the tank... our ones stay put and we transfer them that way, works, well for us anyway, unless of course ours are just slow off the mark or so well behaved :lol:

I've used a snail trap before for ones up to 4cm using shrimp pellets, pleco chips or whatever their current favorite food is as bait.

One of the fishclub members said he made a "baitcatcher" with one entrance by inverting the cut off top from a bottle, again a favorite food as bait was used.

Most recently I've caught one in a hole in my huge piece driftwood like everyone else has mentioned (what a mission).

Good Luck

hurray i caught all three of them! man they've gotten big :o:o one of them was so determined to stay put in his hidey hole in the driftwood he wouldn't come out for a whole hour! had to turn off the light and wait patiently for him so i could take the driftwood out of his new tank. thanks for all the advice!

btw are bristlenoses usually vegetarians? i've never heard of them eating eggs before??!! is this normal????

This thread is going to serve me well - I've been using the net to herd them up the side of the tank, following them with the net underneath them, then holding the net so that when they swim/shuttle off the glass to go back to the bottom, they (usually) coast straight in.

They're tricky little buggers, when they're still small, anyway.

Another trick is to put in a coke bottle, weight it down with some stones, then put in something yummy like courgette or algae tabs, wait a while, then lift coke bottle :)

Just make sure you do it reasonably soon, or put lotsa small holes in the bottle - I heard somewhere of that method failing dues to it working like a lobster pot and there's no fresh oxygen! Could be an old wives tale but I wouldn't leave it overnight.

Boy there's no way I'd handle my male BN, even tho they dont get that big they are grumpy - mine loves the inside of his tree stump, last time I tried to extract him after taking the stump out of the tank he actually growled at me.