The Gold Nugget

Luke*

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they are very aggressive in general but like any species each fish is different. I have had 3 nuggets and each was different, two got on ok as long as they had enough hiding places and my other one was agro as. I couldnt even keep him with my mango plec, which is basically the same type of plec but just a different colour. I reckon aslong as you introduce them all at the same time and cram the tank full of caves etc it might work, sounds like you will have a big enough tank to do this with. One idea i had was that they are like discus, have around 6 or more and the aggression is spread throughout the group, but who has enough money to try this? Just a thought as it worked for my royal panaques which can also be quite an agro fish

Shane

One idea i had was that they are like discus, have around 6 or more and the aggression is spread throughout the group, but who has enough money to try this? Just a thought as it worked for my royal panaques which can also be quite an agro fish

Shane

u have 6 royal panague :o what size are they?

Yeah thats another angle to, thing is though how are you going to pick a male and female pair? another thought haha

I dont have my panaques anymore, just kept my favourite one. Sold the biggest to phil collis and it basically killed his panaque that he imported? Think the tank he had them in was way to small but anyway i think he still has it if anyone wants it haha :-?

Research tells me that Royals have only been recorded to breed once in captivity. This was an established pair that was given a 500L tank full of rotting logs to themselves when it finally happened. Putting two rather large royals in a 200L tank seemed like disaster from the start...

But hey, good on him for trying! We all make mistakes and if it had worked we'd all be singing his praises right now. With species disappearing everyday from the native environs we're really going to have to up our breeding in the future or we simply won't have any fish left in the trade aside from what the small percentage of dedicated breeders have going on...

:( he was such a pretty fellow too, i was looking into buying him at one stage. he would have probably been the only one in NZ too (phil is selling plain L090 but this was an L090c from what i have been told by catfish nuts) which doesnt help for breeding but at least we would have one here.

perhaps if we stopped ruining their natural habitats and over fishing we wouldnt have to kick up our breeding programmes to keep the species alive but thats the way humans are :cry:

All the large Royals (even L90s) are amazing creatures when over 15cm and just get more impressive as they get larger. If you ever get to hold one, it's like a living statue. Imagine a slab of concrete with a pulse.

As for humans and the environment, between huge numbers of wild gorillas being wiped out by E. Coli and no more freshwater dolphins in the Yangtze River I don't have much hope for nature when I hear that even a creature like the Polar Bear is endangered cuz the ice caps will be gone in 20 years....

So my nugget finally arrived after some major mucking around by the couriers in Auckland. Glad my locals aren't that grumpy about sending fish! Here's a pic of him/her settling in to the new digs. As you can see, it will have a tank full of fancy plecs surrounded by colourful discus and plants. Rough life.

goldnuggetarrivalweb.jpg

Now here's an opinion that I need from all you catfish lovers out there. What type of Gold Nugget is it?

L018/L085?

L177?

L081?

from the pic it looks the spots are too big to be L018 and a bit small for an L177. differently not L081 as the color is a lovely yellow even when its stressed in a bag.

depending on it's size, if its still small then it will be hard to tell as both L177 and L018 tend to have similar size spots when young but as they grow L177's spots will only grow even bigger while L018 will keep the same size spot just get more of them.

i recon it could be a L177.

So my nugget finally arrived after some major mucking around by the couriers in Auckland. Glad my locals aren't that grumpy about sending fish! Here's a pic of him/her settling in to the new digs. As you can see, it will have a tank full of fancy plecs surrounded by colourful discus and plants. Rough life.

goldnuggetarrivalweb.jpg

Now here's an opinion that I need from all you catfish lovers out there. What type of Gold Nugget is it?

L018/L085?

L177?

L081?

nice looking nugget hmmm maybe i need one of these to :D:D to add to the collection lol

Thanks mate, it's a pleasure to finally get some wee fishies off ya! We managed to get a peek of him last night lurking behind the tree trunk in his new tank. Haven't seen it today but that's to be expected. I have a small (literally tiny) school of Galaxy Rasboras to watch until it comes out and socializes :)

And for the record, yes, I bought the Gold Nugget from ilah, and it was all in the works before this thread and the thought of Luke getting both. Sorry anyways, Luke!

• 6 months later...

Nice Pics.

Remember these guys prefer a high oxygen content, be careful when keeping them in planted Discus tanks that your O2 levels arnt getting low (especially in the mornings)

To see them at their best try a highly oxygenated 'river type' tank, they behave totally differently.