What temp is most suited to GBA's BN's etc etc

Insect Direct

Ive been keeping mine at 26-28 and all seems ok and it even got upto 30 there a few weeks ago so have bought it back to about 27-28 C.

But when I look at planecatfish http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sp ... ies_id=905 the reccomendation on there is 21-23 C so now Im not so sure what to have them at!

Any info/comments on what you have found with the GBA's BN's or any other ancistrus for that matter would be greatly appreciated. :hail:

I have kept mine around 25-27 degrees, They are pretty tough and can live well in a range of temps. I just find at the higher temps it ups their metabolism so they are more active, grow faster, breed more readily etc, just make sure they have enough oxygen/waterflow and they are sweet :wink:

swt I have never really thought about it as i just though oh yea tropicals are about 26 lol theyl be alrite but when i saw that on planet catfish it got me wundering, thanks for your input.

I might turn off the heater all together as tanks seem to stay around 24 C i my fish room without a heater so can save power at the same time.

Or I might just turn it rite down to low just to be safe! thanks again

Do not adjust the heaters. If the temperature is high enough in the room the heaters will stay off so not use extra power. You will not save anything by turning them off. Turning them to low will not make them safe either. If it sticks on, it will stick on high no matter what the temp is set to.

I raised my 5 GBAs from 1.5cm to 10cm at 30C, they're now in my planted tank at 24C and the boys are getting their bristles :)

Lots of people say 'pH must be this' and 'temp must be that' but they're honestly fine in most situations as long as its stable. "Best" is probably 25C ish with pH 7ish, but I know of one person who has BN breeding in pH>8 and temp of 30.

Caryl I dont get what your getting at,

If i turn them off it will surely save power and what i mean buy turning them to low been safer is then they if for some reason it gets too cold in the room theyll come on and keep it at a minimum of 22 say!

At the moment the rooms about 24 and the tanks in question around 28 so theyre using extra power to heat them to 28 when they'll be fine at 22-24 so i marswell turn em down?

hope that makes sence

The heater has a thermostat so will only turn on if the water gets cold enough. In summer (well, here anyway) it is always so warm the heaters never turn on so do not use electricity.

If you meant you would turn it down to 24 - 26C from 28C then that makes sense.