Epiplatys eggs and ...

Whiskas

Wat do killi eggs look like? I hav some Epiplatys Degati (Dageti) and don't really know what to look for when keeping an eye out for eggs. Are they clear and round like goldfish eggs? But smaller?

Also when their colour is strong does this mean they are happy and in breeding mode? They appear very happy, swimming around and searching through the plants etc. I am enjoying them as they are very lively, fun fish to keep :D

If I was to put a young BN in with them (5cm long) would they be compatible? I read that killies are compatible with most other fish of similar size, but have also read that they can sometimes attack another fish for no reason, so thought I would ask :)

Yo Whiskas, so you are into killies huh??

Where'd you catch the bug, and are you a member of the NZKA??

You'll see several members on this forum, proudly sign off with their NZKA number.

eg I'm Alan NZKA 104.

The lower the number, the more ancient ya liable to be and the longer in the group.

Yes the eggs, as long as they are viable, are clear, small, and if fresh, easy to handle.

Hatching in approx. 10 to 14 days, depends on the temp of course.

Just in case you haven;t been told yet or have not had the mifortune for a "LGOOHS" of your fish, you MUST keep the lid on the tanks firmly in place, even the smallest gap will be utilized to play hidee with their aquariest owner.

Even when feeding, care must be taken as in their excitement they can go thru the gap presented better than an Aussie Kangaroo league player.

Oh!!.

Yes, they should be ok with their tank mates too.

Alan 104

I caught the bug after seeing these little guys for sale on TradeMe - 4 buys & 4 girls :lol: and then for real (different breed) in a pet shop in Palmy.

Nope I am not a member of NZKA. Will have a look into it :) Wondered what the 104 was for.

Yes I read up a bit on them before purchasing them and learnt that they can jump! I havn't had the misfortune of any of them doing any hidey seeky, yet, and hopefully won't as I am sure my cat will find them before i do!!!! They havn't leapt out when i clean the tank nor when i feed them, both times when the lid is off. However I do have the water in the tank much lower than i normally would, so hopefully even if they do leap it will be a bit more of a challenge for them :-? maybe :-?

They dont appear to have laid any eggs yet (maybe they did but ate them!), but the tank is still inprogress. I made them a couple of breeding mops - one with synthetic wool, the other with this stuff from a plant/tree (it feels a bit like horse hair) that a friend uses for her goldfish - but other than that their tank is very plain and boring at the mo :(

I caught them some small bugs from a creek and from my goldy pond which they devoured quite quickly. Other than that they are being fed on a range of fish food - from flakes to freeze dried blood worms to wateva else i have stashed away. Also found a recipe on the internet http://www.killi.co.uk/paste.php Havn't tried it tho.

They are fun to watch and as the tank is right next to my bed i can watch them in the mornings and count them all 1, 2 ... 3,4......hmm 5 6 7 &.... 8! yay! :lol: