My 4 foot planted tank (progress thread)

Brianemone

My tank that I originally had built for my reef tank that was never fully established was sitting in my garage gathering dust and cobwebs.

I've had the urge to startup a planted tank for some now and since we have made some progress with the renovations of our new house I thought that it would be a good time to start getting stuff together for when the lounge is finished. The tank measures 120cm long x 70cm wide x 60cm high. The front and sides are Diamante glass (starphire equivilant)

Here is a Pic of the tank, all dirty and lonely sitting on its back

P1010442.jpg

I moved it inside last night and gave it a quick clean, took a bit of elbow grease to cut out the old overflow and get it prep'd for a test fill which will happen as soon as i plug the overflow hole in the base. I'll put some pics of the clean up tonight

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just use the overflow and have a sump?!?!?! Would give even more volume!!

Nice sized tank BTW!

What have you got planned for equipment?

In freshwater tanks i prefer cannister filters, heck i'd have cannisters on marine tanks if they acheived what is needed. Plus i will be using CO2 so the sump would be counter productive. Plus the overflow took up a fair chunk of realestate that I would prefer to use for plants/fish.

So far for equiptment im planning on 4 4foot T5's and two cannister filter (jebo 819's) Pressurised co2 system and UV

Fair enough. Sumps can be made to not deplete co2 :) But it is easier to canister it.

What other equipment? Pres co2? lighting? Heating? Plants? fish?

Sorry im being nosy, but this tank is gunna be sick!!!!!

Im going to have to call shenanagans on the teeny bopper lingo on this thread.

But yeah i know you can reduce the amount of co2 lost from a sump but its still negating the desired effect. Also the possiblity of me making a perfectly quite overflow is next to none. I want a silent gracefull pic. As for equiptment see above post.

Thanks for the kind words Mystic and David

on a serious note- I wouldn't run a sump on a planted tank, I have got sumps on fw tanks, but I wouldn't have one on a planted tank because of the loss of CO2... what plants are you thinking of?

Still need to do a bit of investigating in regards to most of the plants, Im not going for a Biotope or anything to any plant choices will be purely for aesthetics. I love Riccia and mosses, and dont like cabomba and most stem plants. I think forground of either Riccia or Dwarf Sag, and on the drift wood some nice moss and maybe some nests of Anubis nana (spelling??)

sound like you have it sussed... what CO2 system are you using?

Not sure on the brand of the setup but I got it off Plantman who is selling off some of his stuff. It has a regulator, needle valve and solenoid, Im getting my CO2 bottle sometime in the next week or two (2kg) i still havent decided on a Co2 diffuser yet but i am considering getting one made by a guy I know that makes neon signs.

No worries brian, sounds awesome aye! I cant wait to see pix as you go throu the process.

Have you an idea of substrate etc also?

I wanted a nice dark substrate to contraSt the green plants but i am very put off by the price of most purpose made aquarium substrates and things like Aquasoil Amazonia are not even available here, so I will probably end up doing the daltons aquatic for the base then propagation sand over that unless i can find something more along the lines of what i want.

Tank is now full to the brim and it has some driftwood soaking in it while i make sure everything is still watertight. We are getting our new carpet in next week so i dont want any leaks. Hopfully i will have all the gear i need within a month and will have things moving along once back from holiday in feb.

Will post some pics tommorow of the driftwood in the tank to get some opinions