Flying foxes vs Ottos

penguinleo

I just need to know some differences between these two algae eaters.

Do Ottos need wood to eat like BNs? Any aggression? I heard that Ottos sometimes cling onto other fish.

What types of algae to Ottos eat? In your opinion what is better in reducing algae levels? Ottos or Flying foxes?

Thanks in advance.

I would go with both :D They both have their advantages. SAE's will eat black beard algae, whereas oto's will not. SAE's also however will eat any food dropped into the tank, but oto's won't (thus concentrating their efforts more on eating algae). If I had to choose one, I would go with the oto's though.

Neither. Order in a Siamese Algae Eater (NOT to be confused with Chinese Algae Eater), looks like a flying fox but is better at algae consumption, only need one.

I have heard Otto's are wild caught, and I hear they are quite delicate to water conditions. The otto's are known to be much much better thread algae eaters, but they're always tiny in the stores and so fragile (apparently).

If I had to chose between your two, I'd go with the flying fox, its cheap, hopefully does the job, and easy to keep. If it doesn't do the job, you're only out $14. SAEs are about $25 I think, but when you order them they're quite small.

Most planted tank owners I've met use the SAE for thread algae, and bristlenose or plec for regular algae.

Wish there was a fish that ate that green spot algae hmmph

Wish there was a fish that ate that green spot algae hmmph

I second that!

I had 4 Ottos for years... great fish, just mainly stayed out of sight eating away at the algae. They ate a lot at the back of my tank off the slate background I have. One died recently, must've been old age as the other 3 are still fine. I also have 3 flying foxes. I spotted one of the flying foxes eating thread algae today which was great to see (still going to treat it though). Yes they are fragile to water changes, so when introducing them, add them over an hour long period. It's a good idea to do this with neon tetras too.

I have 8 Otos in my plant tank.. beautiful little critters always seem to be at work :lol: They are more so delicate as a fish, however, the last lot of Otos that came in before the most recent lot were a real fat decent size, was really impressed..

Yeap true that mate, I also run MH and CO2 though and I've had a sweet balance for a long time *touchwood*

Only thing is you get the green spot algae but a weekly clean of this clears it right up. Looks awesome if you do this the same time as a water change and when you fill it back up it must mix the CO2 really well around the tank as bubbles just fly off all the plants :)

Hutt Pets in Lower Hutt has a tank with Otto's inside at present, also lots of flying fox, but no SAE (but can be ordered).

are you sure they are flying fox not SAE? they are labeled as flying fox i know...but looks to me they are SAE because they are not that colourful and their stripe runs from nose to tail. also there are no black stripe on their dorsal fin. o

are you sure they are flying fox not SAE? they are labeled as flying fox i know...but looks to me they are SAE because they are not that colourful and their stripe runs from nose to tail. also there are no black stripe on their dorsal fin. o

Well I asked Ben and he said they were Flying Fox (and they ordered them in as 'Flying Fox'), but he told me he could order me in an SAE if I needed it. I was in there looking for a thread algae eater.

So if they are SAE, then the importer is doing a sneaky. I thought they were Flying Fox tho because they looked more gold than silver to me? I'll have to check again now I have all the info about them. I compared them on the day to the Flying Fox at animates, and they looked the same.

Guess it can't hurt to take a drive over to the hutt and check it out. I'll let you know.